velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm looking into buying an Affinity Low Pro, but I really don't like the brazing on it. I've seen a lot of people smoothing their stuff out, but is it safe to do that? I'd rather have rough brazing and a solid frame than smoothed brazing and a compromised frame. What's the protocol on this one, guys? Help me out. Thanks everyone.
    Lo Pro's are tig welded, aren't they?

And I'd say just leave it alone, it looks fine and would be stronger that if you were to file it.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

That is tig welded. If you want, you can bondo over it, sand down and repaint. But altering the welds themselves is an excellent way to hurt yourself.
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012

And plus, it's not like those welds are that prominent as with other cheap-o asian built frames (which Affinity bikes are). If you go into their shop, they even offer eBay-direct-style chinese carbon road bikes, with an Affinity decal kit. So hype.
    Posted By: quixoticleAnd plus, it's not like those welds are that prominent as with other cheap-o asian built frames (which Affinity bikes are). If you go into their shop, they even offer eBay-direct-style chinese carbon road bikes, with an Affinity decal kit. So hype.

Wait, Affinity frames are cheap-o asian knock offs? Can I buy any steel track frame with the lo pro geometry that is quality, or do I have to buy something crappy?

Well, for one, it's not that the Lo Pros are "knock-offs." That would imply that there's a high quality pursuit-style frame that they are ripping- or "knocking-off." You don't really see high-end builders in this country produce these types of frames, that is, from when the pursuit geo went out of fashion in the 90's until the late 2000's when there was enough demand among fashion-conscious twenty-somethings, and enterprising parties like Affinity jumped on the fad and have made bank, or those more moneyed started having them custom built. Like their popular Kissena model, the Lo Pro is a TIG-welded frame from Taiwan or China, a Kilo TT with a Brooklyn decal and a sloping top tube. Maybe you should look into Spicer bikes. For roughly the same price as the Lo Pro you could have a frame with nearly full custom geo made here in the USA. And then there's the Leggenda For3 from Pelizzoli at a higher price point. You should contact Adrian or Tracker about these respective frames. BUT, if the Lo Pro is what you want, then who am I to stand between you and your pocket book. Whatever does it for you is what matters, that's what I believe.

Just don't have any delusions about what you're buying: an unwieldy overpriced trendmachine that you cant ride with anything but risers. People who have drop bars, or track drops at that, on their Lo Pros either are Mr. Fantastic or they are kidding themselves. You can't ride in the drops if there's a 3 foot drop from the saddle. And if you can, you'll be endangering yourself and others.

There's my 200 cents.

Case(s) in point with the drops. Also, the reach is so short on these bikes, it's ridiculous. These guys must never actually sprint.

Posted By: quixoticleMaybe you should look into Spicer bikes. For roughly the same price as the Lo Pro you could have a frame with nearly full custom geo made here in the USA. And then there's the Leggenda For3 from Pelizzoli at a higher price point. You should contact Adrian or Tracker about these respective frames.

Honestly, this is going to be a long term project, so I'm willing to save for a while to get what I really want. I understand that they aren't the most ergonomic bikes (or at all). Honestly if I was worried about comfort I wouldn't be investing in a fixed gear bike at all. This bike is meant to round out my urban trifecta: Fixed, road, and touring. One of each to fit individual need.

The reason I didn't immediately start saving for a Leggenda For3 (which, IMO is one of the most beautiful track builds I've laid eyes on) is because they're aluminium and I would prefer steel for this build (nothing against aluminum). I have looked into Spicer, as well as 14 Bike co. and I really love their geometry as well. I think after this though I'm leaning toward Spicer.

Also, who are these "Adrian or Tracker" people? I'd appreciate their insight. And thank you, quixoticle for your help as well.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I'm tracker...
    Anyway I did own a lo pro at one point and it took no more than a quarter of a mile to know I hated it, posted it for sale right away. I will not post pictures of it since it was very ugly. In my defense I didn't pick it up and everything somehow looked black in the ad. There are people who love their lo pros so thats just my opinion. But I'd try to steer away from the lo pro.
    I would recommend Sppicer above anything else in that price point. I LOVE my Spicers (2)
    ^^^ I guess Spicer is the way to go then.... Tracker, if I might ask, why did you hate the lo pro? Was it the geometry? If so, then I'm okay. I really like the geometry of it, which was really the only reason I was considering it, but if it's something else, then I've got some more thinking to do.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

It was the geo, it just felt werid to me, not sure how to explain it.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

I've gotten a frame built by Gene Spicer also. I took the EAI BK and into consideration when looking at the angles and fitted the bike for longer club rides rather than fixayy light-to-light urban sprinting.That was as far as I thought about the use, in retrospect I wish i would have gone with larger clearence, knobbies and cantis would be nice, and a full assortment of brazenos so i wouldn't have to have butt rockets or a sometimes full berlin on my back.

As far as the lead time and process I found Gene to be very communicative and eager to answer questions. For a modest extra amount I was able to source a curved tt, aero/curved dt, and drilled wishbone/monostay. (Looking back I would have liked to get the brake drilled in reverse as it's my favourite part of the bike but that' neither hither nor thither.)
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012

brazenos!
    I'm definitely going to have some add ons to the frame (for cages and the like). I'm loving the price tag on the Spicer frames, too. A custom frame starting at $500? That's almost too good to be true! Now all I need to do is look into sizing and what not. My imagination is going crazy with all the possibilities of the frame now. Thanks a lot everyone, you've helped me out quite a bit.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

my shop is getting a guru fitting machine soon!
    Posted By: veggiemy shop is getting a guru fitting machine soon!

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Yeah, Fred(the shop fitter) was talking my ear off about it Friday.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012

The Affinity Low Pro is based on the old KHS Aerotrack Pursuit frame, which is a "cult" favorite. It actually has better geometry than the Aerotrack, atmo a better bike. For a while they were keeping their mouth shut about where they were made, and it has been revealed that they are made in Taiwan. This is not necessarily a bad thing, they are tons of great production bikes coming out of Taiwan. It is actually made for track racing, and meant to be used with pursuit bars not drop bars. Because of the forward sloping top tube, you should go a little longer on the seat tube than you would with traditional geometry, or measure your fit the right way by considering top tube length over anything else.

As far as your question goes, it is not advisable to file TIG welds. It probably won't effect the strength of the weld but it is not worth the risk. You could smooth them out with plastic filler but you'd have to get to bare metal first. It would be easier to use a high fill primer if you don't like how welds look.

Fillet-brazed frames can be filed smooth but the fillets are usually much bigger. Most of the strength of the joint comes from right where the tubes meet and the molecular bond between them and the brass.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.