velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey people, I'm building my dream fixed/free bike and I'd love some opinions on it, but my main question is on the rear wheel. The rim will be a mavic open pro cd, but should it be 32h or 36h? I know that 36h offers more stability and less need of truing, but is there any benefit for less spokes? Also, I know that I'm going to be using rounded, double butted spokes, but should I use DT swiss or Phils? Any advice helps. Thanks peeps.

Also, just so clarify, the hub will be a high flange fixed/free phil wood and conti gatorskin tires (25s)
    To start, i don't think you will notice big a difference in performance or weight between 36 and 32 spokes. unless you are a heavy guy, then hell the more the marrier, i personally run a 32 spoke rear wheel and a 36 front, I frequently load my fixed gear bike with loads of extra weight and both wheels have stayed true. As far as spokes go, DT swiss are the industrial standard, and you really can't go wrong with them. I don't know anyone who uses phil spokes, they could be better, they could be the same, i don't think you would notice much of a difference once again, if it were me, for both of your dilemas, i'd go with the cheapest option, or just plain whatever tickles your fancy more, if you want phil spokes to match your phil hubs, do it, I hope that helped somewhat.
    That helped a lot. Thanks much
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

My current wheelset consists of paul hubs 32 dt swiss double-butted spokes and open pros, I love them, I weigh 170 lbs and they are still true after a six months.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012

36 hole, you can lace a 3 leading 3 trailing which is the most badass normal lacing pattern ever.
    Posted By: M1K3Y36 hole, you can lace a 3 leading 3 trailing which is the most badass normal lacing pattern ever.

even on a rear? I always thought you had to lace a rear traditionally so you don't have to true it every day.
    if you ever had/have a wheel that needed daily truing, something is horribly wrong
    really more a joke
    the type (guage) of spoke and lacing pattern will make more of a difference than the total count.
    There is so much available thru a google search, try it. If you contine to start new threads by asking very basic questions you will be relentlessly piled on and not taken seriously.
    Just sayin'
    Very basic? sheesh... My bad. just wanted to get some differing opinions.

Guess I'll just take my posts and go home.... ='(

JKJK in all seriousness, I'm new here, so I'll heed your warning, socal3rensho. I'll try to make it more advanced next time.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012

Posted By: socal3renshoIf you contine to start new threads by asking very basic questions you will be relentlessly piled on and not taken seriously.

That typically happens when a clueless user creates 4 thousand threads that could have been answered in one thread, I don't really see a problem with what he's doing.
    basic is fine, sometimes its actually better, as certain retro subjects give the grey backs a chance to share stuff we've almost forgotten.
    Just noticed two threads started in a shot span y a brand new member, and voiced the piling on prevention warning.

See....macM......NIKOLA.......jessepmay... and a few others I've purged from my short term memory
    Funnily enough that's why I limited myself to only 2. I had a whole lot of other questions, but I thought it would be annoying if I started more than 2 threads.
    you could go revive the old quick question thread, that might help
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieyou could go revive the old quick question thread, that might help

++++
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

Posted By: PHILosopher
    Posted By: M1K3Y36 hole, you can lace a 3 leading 3 trailing which is the most badass normal lacing pattern ever.

even on a rear? I always thought you had to lace a rear traditionally so you don't have to true it every day.

I know this is old, but a 3 leading 3 trailing is a very strong pattern, I would guess it might actually be stronger slightly than a 3x. Again something is horribly wrong if youre truing wheels daily. Ive done this pattern on my tandem and 29er and the result seems to be a really bullet proof wheel thats also different than the average wheel.
    And this can be done on a rear wheel? I've seen lacings like that before and thought they looked really cool and unique, I've only ever seen in on a front weel though, and I need a sturdy rear.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

old≠2 days

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.