velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012 edited

Stupidly checked craigslist for the first time in a long time, and look what catches my eye and heart! LOL

Anywayyy I got it in pieces and put all the parts on the frame. The spare crankset and random pedal I got for free from my bike shop boss since one of the pedals got messed up by the previous owner and he just got the cranks replaced with regular 600 cranks so he could have a normal pedal thread. Sooo I have a bunch of spare parts now! :D Spare chainrings, pedal, chainring bolts, crankset (in the same length as on my aero! :D), and one key release bolts.

So! This is where I ask for opinions. If you have another option you wish to share, by all means, feel free to do so!! Constructive criticism is also great, blatant insults without solutions are just rude and not bike friendly :(

Info

Full Shimano 600AX group. Hubs included with their awesomely unique flanges. Laced to Araya 1W Rims.

Bars are Sakae something or others.

Opinion #1
    As you can see in the pics below, the only issue was, was the levers had no hoods. I have a few options I've come up with.

1. Buy a new set of 600ax levers with the hoods (since hoods alone would cost nearly the same price) so I could have a complete matching group with the thought in mind that if they ever got damaged, I would never be able to replace them. This is a viable option as I have a handle on someone who could provide.

2. Buy a newer set of more modern Shimano Aero levers with hoods that are readily available now and just stock pile them or something. And at least match the company but not the group.

3. Simply deal with the discomfort of no hoods and wait until I can find hoods alone at a reasonable price (HA!). (not exactly my fave)

Opinion #2
    Handlebar tape!! :D

1. Wrap it with Blue brooks bar tape with a matching Blue B17 Saddle (appears to match the nishiki logo nicely)

2. Wrap with dual colour black/blue Fizik tape in such a way (the self-tightening tape method) that only the tops are black, and the drops have the blue stripe wrapped around. This would be matched with a black Fizik Aliante Saddle

3. San Marco Blue Lorica tape with Blue Rolls Saddle (maybe too bright a blue for this build)

4. Do some sort of harlequin wrap with cloth tape. Blue and some other colour. Unknown saddle (suggestions if you like this option?)

Opinion #3

Bars

Does anyone know a nice alloy 25.4 bar that has a compact shape? I know that this is a fairly new concept, so ionno if this is feasible.

Opinion #4
    Hoods!

If (hugeeeee if) I had an option, gum or black hoods? I know they had those aqua blue hoods stock with the group, but those never got sold separately from the group.

And without further ado

THE PICS

• CommentAuthormanbeard
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012

Luckily for you 600 is much more common than DA. You'll be able to find some good hoods on the bay if you keep an eye out. Awesome find by the way
    Very nice pick up. Love the group! Get some nos levers or some ones in good condition. Black hoods/black brooks tape. Keep it simple. The group is already amazing.
    I have a ton of 600AX and DA AX and EX parts, have rebuilt the pedals (best ever made in my opinion), The AX stem is the gem. Those are hard to find. The calipers are super cool, actually work well are easy to adjust and have good modulation.
    Nice Find!
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012

Posted By: brooklynbombshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Shimano-Brake-Lever-Hoods-Non-Aero-/390463158331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae96af83b

those might work for ya.

Drat, non-aero :( Thanks for the help though
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Shaku you probably already know this, but just in case: a few ebay stores which are also online stores sell 105SC aero hoods that at first glance appear to be universal to all aero generation shimano brake levers. My hoods were kind of dry rotten, and I lost 2 or three of the NOS dura ace 7400s aero hoods bids on ebay, so i picked up the 105SC ones for about 12 bucks. They work fine (and are much more comfortable than the original onces I had on there) but dont fit perfectly on my levers. The shape seem slightly off, and the point does not fit snugly on the pointy part of the brake levers (look at my picture below). Anyway, socal3rensho will probably know more about this than I, but even if the 600 series was exactly the same shape as dura ace, you might want to try these out.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-1055-Aero-Hood-Covers/dp/B001GSMSJG

(I didnt take any close ups but you can see they hoods dont fit perfectly in this picture)
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Hmmm. I just looked at your levers again and am starting to think the shape is completely different from my 7400s stuff. Sorry...
    • CommentAuthorShaku

wow! Thanks so much man!! I actually didnt know that, and these are the kinds of solutions I'm looking for!! I want a bike I can ride and not worry about extremely rare part rotting under my hands. lol
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

We are really gonna need Neal's input here because those levers dont look like the shimano levers that use those kinds of hoods, but who knows.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

yeah . . . drat lol
    For bar tape, I think dark blue Newbaum's cloth tape would look really good with a black saddle. And for bars, look at the Sakae Road Champion bars, they're 25.4 and do not have much drop. They are a classic bend, not a compact bend though.
    Also, about handlebar options: make sure you are working with a 25.4 clamp and not a 26.0. If it's 26.0, you have a few options for compact drops. If it is in fact a 25.4, I think you be SOL.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

it is definitely 25.4, measured and confirmed on velobase. :(

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieFor bar tape, I think dark blue Newbaum's cloth tape would look really good with a black saddle. And for bars, look at the Sakae Road Champion bars, they're 25.4 and do not have much drop. They are a classic bend, not a compact bend though.

But I thought the rule of thumb was always match bar tape to saddle?? :S
    Colored bar tape (blue, yellow, red, etc.) are an exception to that rule.
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieColored bar tape (blue, yellow, red, etc.) are an exception to that rule.

Just make sure you don't clash colors. Going with a black saddle makes you free and clear of this.
    ROLLIN ON ONE-DUUUUBS! This is amazing, what an undertaking.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012 edited

That saddle on there now is probably not going to be the one i'm using, it's fairly uncomfortable and I got it for "free" in the buy

So I'll be taking suggestions.

(and damn, that dark blue is hawttt :P)
    • CommentAuthorShaku

@sillygoose: I just checked, the drops on the bike now ARE actually Sakae Road Champions. I'll try them out and see, but they really do have quite a reach, so yeah . . .
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012 edited

Just picked up some cloth tape. Couldnt find neubaum's, but got Velox instead. they had a Dark Blue as well. Looks great! :D

Realized that there may not be as much padding as regular bar tape, so I'll be wrapping my bar in hockey tape first for a couple of layers and then putting the cloth tape over that.

Also, picked one of these stem caps up as the one on my stem is cracked.

These things get broken/lost all the time, pick one up if you need it :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280973335999

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.