velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited

So! This is what I've been asking questions about and hinting at that I'll be working on here while I'm in Rhode Island. And this is my second surprise for the day! :) I'll probably eventually take it back home to Toronto though as another bike to have for the planned velodrome in Milton (eta 2015, hopefully) I tried to keep this build as French as possible (TA Chainring, Stronglight bolts). Anyway!! Here is where I am at in the build. I've got the front wheel built (shown below) and I've got pretty much everything here minus the Mavic Headset which is en route as I type this to Toronto (it won't arrive to RI before I left, so I just had it shipped to me in Toronto). I pre-ordered a Sprint frameset and kindly asked him to match the Cannondale Track's Glacier Blue as best he could, and damn did they deliver! I love it! :) Thank you so much Superb Cycle in Boston! :D Only Sprint in this colour too! (at least to my knowledge.)

Anywayyyy without further ado:

The Frame

(and just to show how awesome the clearance the clearance is of the front wheel to the downtube, its a 23c tire, it's the wheel off of my miyata)

The Parts

Mavic Stuff

Others

The Wheels

Front:
    Trailing Spokes:

Completely Laced:

Partial Tension:

On the Frame:

Rear:
    (Need to wait, the bike shop only provided me with 37 nipples for my two wheels worth of spokes =.= can't get back there till Wednesday as it's in Boston)

Update 23.01.2014:

Finally found some free time and took the crank apart, made a vid about it:

Also!

Chainring is on now! :D

And this is the cog I'll be using, not the one in the pics above:

Oh man this looks incredible!!! Will you be machining off the tabs and mounts for the third chainring on the Starfish cranks? Goddamn this is going to be one incredible build.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieOh man this looks incredible!!! Will you be machining off the tabs and mounts for the third chainring on the Starfish cranks? Goddamn this is going to be one incredible build.

Added some pics, the mount for the third chainring on the Starfish cranks is actually a rare separate attachment and can be unscrewed. I would never shave stuff off of a crankset like this!! But I've just added some pics of the 1/8" TA chainring and the Stronglight bolts that will be replacing the ones on the cranks
    Wait, the crank doesn't even have tabs... Right? It would just have a little spacer between chainrings like on the hidden part of a spider on older Record (and the new stuff too). And if the triple part unscrews, you'd have nothing that would make it look like a road crankset on a track bike. Can't want to see this built up.
    • CommentAuthorAKang47
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012

That frame is amazing!
    This is going to be great. I've always liked these frames and the build is going to look excellent. Looking forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Kewl beans. While I have no interest in this, it will be pretty
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

classy mc class this is classy
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle

You don't always have to eat your veggies...this is beautiful! I've always thought that the Cannondale Track was the one hipstamachine that seemed worth the bloodsucking hype those ghouls made have made it subject to. Really like that prospective wheelset, too!
    no difference between the 631 srt up as road or pista, just sometimes hard to find rings, and by the NOS sleave it looks like you have that handled. Top 3 sexiest crankset (C Record, Mavic Starfish, Dura Ace AX - polished)

The AX group as a whole is crazy.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited

Thanks for all the kind words! :) I really hope not to disappoint. I've been told the crankset uses the same taper as Campy, so I have a Campy 110 bb (can't remember the model atm) which i've been told is the right length.

Anyway, any confirmation would be nice as I know Mavic never made a 110 length bb, and I really don't want to face the BB at a 45 degree angle to make the Mavic bb fit.
    any ISO taper should work well, just get the correct length
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

Posted By: socal3renshoany ISO taper should work well, just get the correct length

Kk, my campy bb will work then :)
    • CommentAuthorGloomy
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

Shaku, check your pm's.
    Oh this is gonna be a great build!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

wat the fuk is that shit^^
    How's this build coming along?
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieHow's this build coming along?

well, it got left in Rhode Island when I had to come back to Toronto.

BUT! as we speak, my parents decided to make a road trip up to Toronto, AND they got my bike and it's parts in tow! :D

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.