velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMRE
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012

Hello,

I am in the process of building a custom frame with Orlowski, and I was wondering whether to get a straight fork or a regular fork.
    Pros cons?
    Thoughts, suggestions?

Onda fork.
    • CommentAuthorMRE
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012

Haha.. for the undecided..
    It all depends on the frame geometry, headset angle, and of course the particular amaount of trail in the forks your choosing between. So without that info, its a babble fest with no helpful outcome. Unless your asking us to build a bike around a fork which is sort of ass backwards if your considering the option that bare canvas offers.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

Posted By: socal3renshobuild a bike around a fork which is sort of ass backwards

I did this. Yes, it was a stupid stupid expensive and stupid decision.
    Build the frame and it will come.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

You do build a bike around a fork. The forks offset is just as much of a component of handling as the headtube angle. Also you don't know where the bottom of the headtube is until you have established the crown height of the fork. So either you design the frame with an existing fork's dimensions or you design a fork before you can design the front triangle of the frame.

And this is a conversation you should be having with the framebuilder, or one he should be having with you.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

Er.. I mean I found one of
    http://www.kinesis.com.tw/forks_RF18_19.PHP
    at my bicycle kitchen and built up a trek 890 up with it and threw money at it.
    This is the monstrosity.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.