velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

It seems like the last year (maybe longer) the fixed gear scene in both Malaysia and Indonesia has absolutely gone insane. For a while there every other fixie on velospace was from one of the two countries. To all the people in that neck of the woods, what's the deal?!?

Feel free to shower me with sarcastic 'troll' comments, I can take it..
    Honestly I was wondering the same thing. I think they were just late to the sweet fixie party since it used to be mostly an american thing. Fixed fest jakarta is probably responsible for most of it.
    I think part of the reason they like 'em is because they're cheap. Indonesia is a pretty poor country (not trying to mean, but it is) so they've found something that is cool, fun, and won't cost an arm and a leg
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012

Both are popular holiday spots for Australians, and I have noticed a lot of kids on fixies on my last trips (often ambling along the beach with no foot retention). What surprises me is the number of high-end frames floating around that part of the world.

Malaysia has a strong presence in track cycling.
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieI think part of the reason they like 'em is because they're cheap. Indonesia is a pretty poor country (not trying to mean, but it is) so they've found something that is cool, fun, and won't cost an arm and a leg

That cant be it. Almost all of the jackass MASH builds i've seen come straight from jakarta or malaysia. $925 is not cheap.
    Posted By: adrian13346That cant be it. Almost all of the jackass MASH builds i've seen come straight from jakarta or malaysia. $925 is not cheap.

I was talking about the ones that are "customized" to have sloping top tubes and track ends.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited

In practical terms, for their lifestyle (travelling short distances on bad roads in slow, thick traffic) a Cinelli MASH is probably a realistic alternative to the ubiquitous 50cc Honda scooter. And just like guys that can't afford a Ferrari might buy a Colnago, the upmarket bike is a lot more glamorous than the weak and unimpressive scooter.
    i dont get how they can ride super high gear ratio.. theres crap loads of visp, pcolite, leaders, mashes, etc over there

and i couldnt find any info about booster crank

last year I sold a 50 NJS 3Rensho to a guy in Indonesia for 925, PLUS $240 shipping. For a frame!!!! he couldn't pay me fast enough to make sure he didn't lose out.
    Thats definitely NOT CHEAP
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012

Seems like it's been blowing up everywhere in the last couple of years. I'm sure it's going to get even bigger after premium rush hits the theatres.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

And then it will die and the bike gods will rain cheap parts upon us who were not in it as a fad.
    Posted By: veggieAnd then it will die and the bike gods will rain cheap parts upon us who were not in it as a fad.

+1
    A lot of those builds I see look so bad. My god...seat angles like slides, gear ratios for cat 1 riders, mid-range - hi-end track frames getting forks drilled. Its like SF in 2005 all over again.

I'm really curious if people with such high ratios over there can actually ride more than a few blocks.
    +1 on insane saddle angle lol!
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: TrackerJeez
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/cervelo-t3-return-6285

Someone's eatin' good... sweet FIXIE BRO!! heh..
    such a waste.. look at the great ratio! its insanely stupid
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Well, at least they're into it. Some of the thuggie types in my hood could learn from these guys and stop sellin crack and getting high all day long on my stoop.
    Posted By: MustangWolfWell, at least they're into it. Some of the thuggie types in my hood could learn from these guys and stop sellin crack and getting high all day long on my stoop.

Wow.. what a random interjection of idealist morality!

*edit* i meant to say 'moral idealism' duh..

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.