velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I would like to think that I have learned a couple of things from my first try at this. As you can see, this is mainly just another bike fitted with the previous apparatus I used on bike one.

Some of the changes I made (besides using a stronger frame and fork) are that I used a rear axle on the front wheel so that connecting and adjusting would be easier.

I also used longer bolts and spacers on the front guide so that I could adjust how close the guide is to the rail.

One problem I have yet to overcome is how to cross a portion of a rail switch known as a “frog”.

Hear you can see the frog as I approach the switch.

As I cross over the frog the guide passes easily through it, but the front wheel drops into the gap and often is unable to climb out and continue down the rail.

If by chance I do manage to clear the frog with the front wheel, the rear wheel has yet to ever make it through. The guide on the out rigger doesn’t have this problem, just the tires of the bike.

One reason I came up with the rail guides I use is that they pass through these switches and at road crossings. If I used guides on both sides of each rail, they would get caught and stop the bike

I have yet to have a derailment with this bike…
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

this is so sick
    • CommentAuthoruhler

I love it, i'd like to see a quick clip of it in action!
    • CommentAuthorchku

Hey, do you record your milage? I was wondering how far you have been able to ride in one uninterrupted section? It looks like you're enjoying some nice scenery. Are you a railfan apart from being a cyclist?
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012

Good luck on the frog switch issue. Looks like it's going to be a tough one.
    haul ass and bunny hop, its all in the timing!
    I was wondering why you used that plate and not a commercial bearing, makes sense.
    would be great if there was a way to use one of those double wide Ididabike wheels, they might clear those frogs with minimal dismounting.
    Posted By: chkuHey, do you record your milage? I was wondering how far you have been able to ride in one uninterrupted section? It looks like you're enjoying some nice scenery. Are you a railfan apart from being a cyclist?

These tracks were disconnected from the surrounding rail system, and while they are still used by a rail club, they are nearly unused. The existing rails are a section of about 12 miles long.
    I don’t consider myself a rail-fan of sorts, though I have dabbled in model railroading.
    Posted By: uhlerI love it, i'd like to see a quick clip of it in action!

Perhaps I'll post a link in the future if I make one.
    Posted By: socal3renshohaul ass and bunny hop, its all in the timing!

Yea, tried that. It’s getting those guides back into the right place that is hard.
    If I recall how the first frame failed, I think you'll want some sort of "stays" running between the rear axle and front axle conduit sections near the frame, provided they don't interfere with pedaling. Just a thought. This would prevent the frame from buckling again I think.
    dose the wheel allways fall of to the inside of the track? have you thought about putting guides on the bikes wheels. 2 guides to each bike wheel. if they were spaced far enough apart that when the frond guide is in the frog the rear guide is still on the track, so when the rear guide is in the frog the front guide is back on the track. it seems like train cars have clusters of 4 wheels, 2 on a side. so that when one is in the frog the other is still on the track with lips on the inside of the wheels acting as guides. i think a bike wheel is big enough that it would clear the gap in the frog it just needs to be guided across it. so if you had the 2 on each bike wheel it would act as a cluster of 2 wheels with 2 guides like a train car. just my thought on it without actually seeing it. good luck.
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012

Posted By: stinky pete
    Posted By: socal3renshohaul ass and bunny hop, its all in the timing!

Yea, tried that. It’s getting those guides back into the right place that is hard.

i'll be waiting!
    • CommentAuthorbeau0210
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012

That must be the smoothest 12 mile stretch ever!

Awesome idea and follow through!
    • CommentAuthorFilip
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012

• CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012 edited

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.