velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorTxCyclist
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited

First my apologies in the amount of downtime that has occurred.

Velospace is ran from old code that does not do well with modern servers, in fact it doesn't work without major modification. So we had to get a stand alone server and downgrade the operating system for Velospace to run.

It's now running on that server and should be fine, it's slow but it will get faster once the cache fully rebuilds.

The errors you were all getting posting should be resolved now along with anything else that became broken after our move. We fixed the Classifieds which had an issue with the main image not appearing but that was not working on VS prior to us moving it.

We have a lot of work to do to get the site where we want it just in terms of fixing things behind the scene that you won't notice, pretty much just improving the speed of the site and functionality. We aren't changing the software or anything like that, just improving queries and other such things.

One example is VS has never injected the image ID into your uploads, so if you upload an image with a filename that someone else used, it overwrites that file. Stuff like that we have a growing list to accomplish that you won't notice probably but will improve the site.

So again sorry for the downtime and lost content but it should get better now and I appreciate the leniency you all have afforded me.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

I haven't really noticed the downtime, but I am super happy with the larger pictures in the classifieds.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

I'm glad you guys will be fixing the uploading pictures thing. Bigger pictures and don't have to worry about what you name it :-)
    Just to confirm, I have noticed the sluggishness. The site at the moment is quite slow - it takes about a minute to load each individual page. Thanks for being in touch about these issues, Tx.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Yes, the site is being pretty slow. The homepage is the only thing that lags for me though. Opening a thread is somewhat fast. Also, I'm still getting the comment error.
    I've noticed that comments and incoming messages disappear. I have also noticed the sluggishness of the site.
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist

Last bit of data loss. Just to restate, spam filters are exact same, all settings are same, speed should be good now?
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012

That's weird, even though I had about 4-5 replies in my thread, it only says there's only one new reply.
    Posted By: TxCyclistspeed should be good now?

Yep, running quickly now!
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist

I just put all the images on the CDN so once that resolves it should be even faster.

Depending on your ISP you might notice some broken images/CSS until the CDN resolves at your ISP.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

I've been having trouble re-sizing my photos .The page only partially loads after clicking the re-sizing tool and my loading indicator just keeps spinning.It worked twice today but at random attempts so I figured I just got lucky.This has always worked easily before even with my old ass computer.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012

Posted By: ShakuThat's weird, even though I had about 4-5 replies in my thread, it only says there's only one new reply.

Odds are, the rest were from spammers who've been deleted along with their posts.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012

nope, like it notifies for fewer replies than there really were. LIke i got 4-5 replies from regulars on here and it only said one person replied
    • CommentAuthorcicadashell
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited

yeah, it's not spam control. there were numerous posts that just got chopped off, for example some updates to my mercier build thread (pictures of the derailleur and and hanger) and some additional comments about fork rake in another thread. i'm sure there were others. it was weird because the posts were gone one day, then back the next, then gone again, presumably for good. i was thinking about reposting the mercier pix but i am just going to wait for the next update.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.