velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012

I've decided to build a bike for this summer. sort of a beater/lock up because i don't really have anything i feel ok locking... Mostly for riding around town, to work to the pool that sort of stuff. While looking through the Merry Sales catalouge at stuff my boss told me to i saw this PAKE french 75, which had seen before, nothing new but i saw how cheap it was and decided i had to get one.

I'm going to build it up with all silver stuff. things that are decided:
    57cm Pake french 75 frame
    Thomson x2 stem
    Thomson elite (maybe masterpeice) post
    Ricthey "classic" curve bars
    sram s500 (maybe s900) levers
    Sram force brakes from the TCR
    lizard skins tape
    mavic open pro silver rims
    conti GP 4 seasons
    Fizik arione (color?)

Unsure/need suggestions
    Cranks (cheap and silver)
    hubs (cartridge and silver med-low flange maybe surly?)
    pedals (clips/straps silver)
    Dude, yes. I want to see a good build, yeah?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

I'll make an attempt at pictures... i'm lacking in a camera unfortunantly.
    What the hell? No camera but a free trip to Rifle to build a friggin' bike? Get a camera.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

i've considered it, but then i'd have less monies for bikes :(
    $100, man.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

we'll see... for now i'll get crappy iphone pictures on my moms phone when stuff comes in. hopefully i'll order the frame on monday!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Wow, just looked up the price on those. I'm tempted to get one for myself.
    I dont know if we are looking at the same prices but they are all around $450+
    The wholesale price is very low. From what I have heard, they're low on inventory on certain sizes and won't be doing another production run. Get me a 51cm while you're at it.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

really? where did you hear that?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: suicide_doorsThe wholesale price is very low. From what I have heard, they're low on inventory on certain sizes and won't be doing another production run. Get me a 51cm while you're at it.

They seem to be doing alright on the sizes I've looked at.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

oh and the other sort of weird thing i have to go with this is i'm going to drill the TT to route a cable for a rear brake. anyone have any experience with doing this on an alloy frame?
    When I looked into them last fall, that was the response the shop gave me to why they couldn't get a 51 at the time. Perhaps things have changed.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Why a rear brake?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Because he can.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: veggieBecause he can.

this.

i don't want a dummy lever and i like having hoods to ride on. and it will be nice to have if i do SS and i already have a pair of brakes.
    I wouldn't do it. First, it will look bad, damage the paint, etc. Second, it will be very difficult to seal the tubes around the housing, and you'll end up with shit in your tubes. Third, if you want a rear brake, it would be better looking to fashion your own ornate cable guides. Fourth, you're going to lessen strength of your top tube.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I've always wanted one of these, I think I'm gonna order me up one on monday.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

my plan was to use a small punch to put a little dent in the tube, the drill it out with a small drill bit and then make it into an oval with a dremel tool. i hadn't given much thought to sealing it... but i am intrigued by the fashioning of ornate cable guides. how would you go about doing this?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.