velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorxdesolatex
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

I have a rear specialized tri spoke. I want to convert it to a front wheel. If I ordered this:
    http://www.hedcycling.com/wheel-acc/default.asp?content=3_Front_Track_Axle_Kit
    would that do the trick for me?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

read the website.
    "Converts front H3 and earlier Specialized tri spoke fronts from road quick release to bolt-on track."

doesn't sound like thats what it's for

but arent the bearings in specialized trispokes the same size on the front and the rear? the only difference beeing the size of the cones?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

no idea. i know its posible to go rear to front, but not sure of how
    I seen it done before. not attractive but it is possible
    • CommentAuthormobrien

The front trispoke has sealed bearing cartridges on both sides of the hub, where the rear has a cartridge on one side and loose ballbearings on the drive side (inside the freehub). I haven't pulled the freehub off of mine yet to see if there is a sealed cartridge hiding under there, but if not, you'll need to buy another sealed cartridge (recommend just replacing both sides). That axel kit won't work with loose bearings, gotta be sealed or not at all. I agree with Benson...it can be done but not attractive.

I should have stated this earlier but the tri spoke I have is older and is threaded for a freewheel.
    • CommentAuthormobrien

My front trispoke is also threaded for an "old fashioned" spin-on freewheel . The rear, on the other hand, has a Shimano freehub integrated into the wheel (although it is removable). It sounds like you're already set up for a front wheel, the presence of threads just threw you off. Why the fronts came with threading for a spin-on cluster, I don't know. That kit you're looking at will work, no problem. Post a photo of your front hub,if you can. That way we'll be sure.
    • CommentAuthormobrien

In fact...take a look at the first posted picture on my bike page. That gives you a pretty view of a Specialized front trispoke. The little black band is a protective cover for the threads. If that's what you have, then you're in the clear for converting the axle from QR to a solid/nutted track axle.

thats the wheel with the 130mm spaced axle and a 7 speed freewheel screwed on. its the only picture I have at the moment. I checked another front specialized trispoke I have and the bearings are indeed the same size, only difference is the size of the cones.
    • CommentAuthormobrien

If that's an "old timey" spin on gear cluster, you're good to go. Just have your mechanic remove the freewheel and pull out the long axle. The new one should drop right in (with a little adjustment/alignment). But.....if that's a "new fangled" cassette, then you're SOL and will need to do some engineering to get it to work as a front. You sound pretty confident that the gears are screwed on. If that's the case, you won't need to change the bearings...just the axle. If that is a screw-on freewheel, you'll have sealed cartidges on both sides of the hub. You don't seem to have a retaining nut/ring on that freewheel, so that means it's looking good to convert that rim to a front.

Earlier I meant to say " ...a pretty GOOD view..." not "a pretty view". That sounds so............pretentious.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.