velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortreehugger
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011

If you were to own a bike shop, what bike brands would you carry and why?
    • CommentAuthorTracker

colnago, wilier, canyon, santa cruz, yeti, ibis, bmc, because i love them and there a something different from the super big brands. There are more but just cant remember rite now.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

That is a hard question to answer. You have to know what your customers want, which is dependent on your location.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

colorful deep v's with matching chains/grips and pedal straps....Aerospokes aluminum/carbon frames with FGFS forks on them. umm LOTS of top tube pads. Spoke cards...nitto jag stems with riser bars for that crucially aggressive fixie whip look. Oh and the felt fixie line maybe work a deal with mongoose to sell the fixed speed bikes they offer.
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited

Posted By: Kevint143colorful deep v's with matching chains/grips and pedal straps....Aerospokes aluminum/carbon frames with FGFS forks on them. umm LOTS of top tube pads. Spoke cards...nitto jag stems with riser bars for that crucially aggressive fixie whip look. Oh and the felt fixie line maybe work a deal with mongoose to sell the fixed speed bikes they offer.

You will sell like crazy, thats it.
    Call it hipster surplus.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

i'd probably go for more of a race shop
    giant
    cervelo
    hire a custom builder?
    pinarello
    plus a parts counter full of awesome stuff

speaking of brands, has anyone ever checked out english cycles? because the stuff he makes looks fucking awesome. http://www.englishcycles.com/
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I've heard of them but never bothered to check them out to much I for got about cervelo Tjat would be one of the brands to.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

They brought some of the English stuff into our work to show off and bah they are beautiful
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited

I would have a high, mid, and entry level range of bikes. I would carry brands that focus on gearies and/or fixies. SO, I might also carry Ibis (American based, but they are foreign built now), Felt, Colnago (a fav Ital based), Surly (popular), and/or Public. For an entry level, I would carry something like Kona for rentals and cheaper deals. I would not want anyone coming in and not being able to find a bike in their range. I would wan't racers and hobby cyclists to feel like they just walked into their new fav bikshop. Heavy emphasis on accessories and matchable parts was a good idea by Kevint143 and is very "in". I would DEF make sure to watch popular trends, I would never have guessed fixies would be such a big fad... but they are. I would wish to populate my shop with bikes built in countries that pay their workers well, but that would be hard to do if trying to create a range of bikes for all incomes.
    Posted By: Haeganspeaking of brands, has anyone ever checked out english cycles? because the stuff he makes looks fucking awesome.http://www.englishcycles.com/

Rob English is local, and I have heard about him from a couple of people, but I've never seen one of his bikes in person.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

I will actually carry nothing but those chinese carbon fiber frames from ebay
    My shop will be njs stamped!
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

For high end/road, I would carry Bianchi (who would also cover the "bikes for everyone" category), Lynskey, Colnago, Guru, Time, Cervelo, and BMC. For the "bikes for everyone", I would carry Surly, Pashley, and probably Jamis for their cruiser line. I would also give customers the option of a custom frame, so I would probably be a dealer for desalvo cycles which would cover titanium, steel, and MTB (which I know exactly nothing about honestly). I would probably carry Tiemeyer too as I would want an aluminum option. For the Fixed/singlespeed crowd, I would carry all-city, Wabi, and I would of course make sure to always have at least a couple Bianchi Pistas in stock.

For accessories, I wouldn't want to carry a ton of brands, but I would focus on quality and I would keep them as American as possible. So, for bottle cages, it's king cages. for seatposts, it's thomson, and so on. I would definetly carry nitto and 3T stuff.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

2 shops, one Mtb only, one road bike only

MTB shop

Frames/bikes:

house brand will be transition
    santacruz
    mondraker
    Intense
    Turner
    corsair
    scott
    specialized
    trek
    lapierre
    Devinci
    GT

components:
    Sram
    shimano
    raceface
    answer
    blkmrkt
    diety
    Wtb
    maxxis
    odi
    formula
    azonic
    mavic
    thomson
    TLD
    fox
    rockshox
    manitou
    marzocchi
    canecreek

Road bike shop

frames/bikes:

house brand will be Cervelo
    time
    colnago
    trek
    specialized
    Cinelli (none of that fixay shit)
    giant
    pinarello
    (lots of crabon)

Components:
    sram
    shimano
    3ttt
    cinelli
    nitto
    fulcrum
    mavic
    thomson
    Fizik
    vittoria
    campagnolo
    cane creek
    fsa
    bontrager (the good shtuff)

i dunno, i'm not thinking correctly ill probably edit this later yo.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

feck that was long, sorry.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

No enve or ritchey.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

none
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Posted By: Tracker
    Posted By: Kevint143colorful deep v's with matching chains/grips and pedal straps....Aerospokes aluminum/carbon frames with FGFS forks on them. umm LOTS of top tube pads. Spoke cards...nitto jag stems with riser bars for that crucially aggressive fixie whip look. Oh and the felt fixie line maybe work a deal with mongoose to sell the fixed speed bikes they offer.

You will sell like crazy, thats it.
    Call it hipster surplus.

i was thinking the same thing. glad we're all on the same page
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx

really depends on your area though. the market fluctuates like crazy from city to city.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Yup, for me it's kinda the same market for like 6 towns. Also 3 of them aere really really small but where all the same.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.