velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

It ticks me off pretty bad when you finally find something worth bidding on ebay, but idiots start bidding on it 2-3 day before. These people can't just wait and try to out bid each other in the last few minutes? No!.....they have to bid early for no reason and jack up the price even more. Most ebay veterans know that if you really want something you are going to need to be bidding in the last few seconds if you want a chance to win...you will not win by placing a bid 2 days before most likely.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011

Snipe-snipe-snipe. Whatever dude, I don't have the free time to follow an item down to it's last minutes.
    Seriously...it tells you exactly when the bidding ends right next to the items picture. You usually have atleast 5 days to plan ahead and clear your schedule for a small 5-10 minute window to bid and with smart phones these days I think you could take 5 minutes out of your day to track something you want.
    A bit presumptuous, are we?

What bothers me about eBay right now is the number of buyers who try to end an auction early with a made-up BIN bid, and the sellers who list items for $1 with $400 shipping. Reporting them does NOTHING.
    Ya I guess so, but really you can find 5 minutes in your day, especially if you know when that 5 minutes is going to occur many days in advance. I feel you on the high shipping prices though. Some of these sellers are getting out of control. I've never had that BIN bid thing happen to me.
    • CommentAuthorPillpoppin

use a sniper service
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

The sniper tools are what I hate.. I can have the high bid on the item and watch it as it counts down to finish; think I've won it to find out there were 10 bids in the last 3 seconds that I didn't see and couldn't react to if I wanted to. Grinds my cookies.
    actually if you place your highest bid from the get-go, snipe-rs will have to try and trump that in a short window of time without knowing what it is. If you think ahead and set a max. bid from the beginning.. you may have a better chance.
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx

everyone should know you don't win or get a good price on something till the last minute. that's a given. i hate when people do steady bids to jack up the price. then again, those people do it for a reason too.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

The key thing is to know what your maximum price is, whenever you bid it. If you haven't already figured out your hard limit, you may get tempted to make I'm-gonna-catch-you bids at the last minute to keep up with human (Yo!) or bot-snipers. If you have a hard limit, and you bid it, and you're outbid, then it doesn't really matter if someone bids higher. You weren't willing to bid that high anyway. They were, so there was no chance you were going to get it, unless they didn't find the auction.

Most items on eBay are manufactured things - at least most of the bike stuff. There Will Be More Of Them.
    i totally feel you indian...like a brother...like...youre my chief and im your bow and arrow
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011

Posted By: jamesbooty3i totally feel you indian...like a brother...like...youre my chief and im your staff
    • CommentAuthoruhler

The chief rocks a staff man.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan

I generally agree with the OP, but sometimes it makes sense to bid early, especially if the item is rare. I've been disappointed several times when a bike I'd been watching all week was suddenly no longer available. Someone had struck a deal with the seller. So, depending on the item, sometimes I'll put in a bid that meets his reserve, if he has one, as a disincentive for him to end the auction early. Then I'll snipe at the end if I think my earlier bid is going to be too low.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited

Posted By: gridplanSo, depending on the item, sometimes I'll put in a bid that meets his reserve, if he has one, as a disincentive for him to end the auction early. Then I'll snipe at the end if I think my earlier bid is going to be too low.

That's a key point. I'm usually a "last 30 seconds" bidder, but that doesn't always work out. A fair percentage of the time, the seller will cancel the auction before the close because there haven't been any bids, and I have to find the relisted item all over again - if the seller relists it at all. Sometimes it's wise to let the seller know someone's interested for real.

I have a pretty elaborate hand-rolled eBay tracking system, with tracked auctions bookmarked in folders by closing date/time. I have tomorrow's auctions open in chronological order. I'll check the current prices before I go to bed, to see which ones are still in range; then I'll mentally schedule my day around the auctions I need to follow. for example, I have a window tomorrow between noon and 5:30 Pacific time, which means I have time for some hill riding.
    Yeah, because eBay doesn't do any of that stuff for you, Peter...

I know, I know, you don't trust it.
    Posted By: uhlerThe chief rocks a staff man.

not in indians44987's super war-mongering death tribe
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited

Posted By: suicide_doorsYeah, because eBay doesn't do any of that stuff for you, Peter...

I know, I know, you don't trust it.

Some of us perfected our management systems in 1997, and see no reason to change them as long as they still work. Trust, sirrah, has nowt to do with it.

Until just a few years ago, eBay's tracking system would only let you track 10 auctions. I'm tracking about 60 auctions closing in the next four days. My list is light at the moment.
    Posted By: eaglerockThe key thing is to know whatyourmaximum price is, whenever you bid it. If you haven't already figured out your hard limit, you may get tempted to make I'm-gonna-catch-you bids at the last minute to keep up with human (Yo!) or bot-snipers. If you have a hard limit, and you bid it, and you're outbid, then it doesn't really matter if someone bids higher. You weren't willing to bid that high anyway. They were, so there was no chance you were going to get it, unless they didn't find the auction.

Most items on eBay are manufactured things - at least most of the bike stuff. There Will Be More Of Them.

+1

like i said earlier, you can place your highest bid and snipers won't know what it is.. so you could place a max bid of $50, the snipers will try to go up slowly, $10, $15, $20, etc.. but you'll keep outbidding them. they'll probably run out of time before they meet your bid, but if they do.. then they're paying more than you would for that item... so who gives ?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

All good suggestions, and depending upon what you are looking to buy, the reason and the scarcity will depend upon the bidding method. I've only been on eBay for about 12 years, so I'm still learning and have to adapt as technology does.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.