velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

My Sram Omniums started creaking so took it apart and reinstalled them but ended up the same. I've notice that the crank spindle doesn't go all the way in unless i unscrew the non-driveside bearing cup about 2mm then the whole spindle goes in. Why does it do that? I measure the BB width and it matches the GXP BB.
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011

Idk
    You sure you put the driveside all the way in? Gently tap into it. Maybe your chainring bolts are loose?
    Omniums are infamous for the stock bearings drying out quickly. That may be the problem. Try replacing the cups with ceramic ones and see if the problem persist.
    I remember my Omnium started creaking terribly and thought it was my BB but it was just a broken and loose chainring bolts
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: bourgeoisebradOmniums are infamous for the stock bearings drying out quickly. That may be the problem. Try replacing the cups with ceramic ones and see if the problem persist.

That is a VERY expensive alternative. I agree with Benson suggestions. Checking chainring bolts and tapping in the right side crank resolved my problem.

Plus, the 2011 version of the GXP BB is much better. Most of the problems solved
    Many people interpret their saddle/seatpost creaking as a drivetrain problem because it sounds like it is coming from down there. If it's creaking while you're not seated, then you're talking crank/BB.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: suicide_doorsMany people interpret their saddle/seatpost creaking as a drivetrain problem because it sounds like it is coming from down there. If it's creaking while you're not seated, then you're talking crank/BB.

That was me a while ago, so sad.
    Don't sweat it, I've had people do horrible things to their bikes to fix a noise or funny feeling, only to have the actual problem be something akin to a loose nut in the seat tube.
    • CommentAuthorspader725

Posted By: suicide_doorsMany people interpret their saddle/seatpost creaking as a drivetrain problem because it sounds like it is coming from down there. If it's creaking while you're not seated, then you're talking crank/BB.

I agree with this statement. Happened to me, ended up wasting time and effort on the bottom bracket/cranks when it was the seatpost bolt was jacked up
    Posted By: suicide_doorsDon't sweat it, I've had people do horrible things to their bikes to fix a noise or funny feeling, only to have the actual problem be something akin to a loose nut in the seat tube.

I remember that thread with strange creaking noise.
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011

Chances are, 99% sure... it's your chainring bolts. They need to all be greased and tightened up. After that, grease and tighten the bolts on your seatpost.

Also, please do not tell me you're riding your bike with one of the bearing cups loose and sticking out 2mm. The bearings should be torqued down to torque specs in the frame.
    • CommentAuthorjimmyxpboy
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011

Nope I've tighten the bearing cups but ill check the chainring bolts.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    tap and face your BB, tighten your chain ring bolts, if you ride clipless throw some grease on the springs of your pedals, check your chain ring and make sure it's not bent.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Posted By: 2011Also, please do not tell me you're riding your bike with one of the bearing cups loose and sticking out 2mm. The bearings should be torqued down to torque specs in the frame.

..Say this *did* happen. I had just finished the build and had had my lbs install the cranks. After about a week of solid riding I noticed there was lateral play in the cranks. I know sometimes you set something up, use it, and re-tighten, so I chalked it up to that. I have a sneaking suspicion that my cranks are not spinning as smoothly as they were at first install.
    • CommentAuthortlongo
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited

it is most likely your chainring bolts. my good friend, mmorimoto, had the same sound when we tightened his chain. so we took off his chain and put it back on with a LITTLE slack, still made the noise. we examined the crank and turns out the chainring bolts just had to be tightened and the sound dissapeared after tightening every bolt. hope this helps.
    • CommentAuthorjimmyxpboy

After re-greasing and tightening my chainring bolts i noticed the sounds we gone. thanks guys! helped alot!
    • CommentAuthor2011

Like I said, 99% it's the chainring bolts. We should just have a thread call "Are your cranks creaking? Tighten your chainring bolts!"
    • CommentAuthortlongo
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011

Posted By: 2011Like I said, 99% it's the chainring bolts. We should just have a thread call "Are your cranks creaking? Tighten your chainring bolts!"

totally agree

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.