velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

This works very well for center pull and canti brakes. Very crispy, super strong and sexy.
    Oh- here's a link. I don't know how to post pics to the forum. It would be cool if someone else could!!

http://velospace.org/node/37185
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

Posted By: hardsole5280Oh- here's a link. I don't know how to post pics to the forum. It would be cool if someone else could!!

Done. Just post the address of the photo itself - no extras:

http://velospace.org/files/hardsole5280chainbrake1.jpg

• CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

That is a pretty nifty hack - I liked your grip shift brake idea too (under the right circumstances). People can nit-pick their flaws, but you're thinking out of the box and coming up with some good concepts. You could ask Josh Newman about the kickstart deal or just pull up the website yourself, but Josh probably has some good intel. You have two concepts that hack existing components - aside from selling your ability to hack to shop customers I think you would have to approach it by designing your own components that work specifically for the purpose that you have hacked them to achieve and work on finding funding for the patent process from there. Then you can sell the idea to manufacturers already in the industry - license the design out to them for a fee, sell the design ownership, or figure out how to produce it yourself.

Or you could take your advanced mechanic knowledge and get a high paying job at a job somewhere and use these tidbits in your resume to sell yourself. Maybe you can get employed as a designer at some component firm.
    • CommentAuthor2011

I was doing this back in the mid 90's, about 15 years ago, with my BMX bikes. I say in all honesty that I was one of the first to try it out because I was having problems with that little piece of brake cable pulling out and snapping.

It started a HUGE trend in the BMX scene and EVERYONE was doing it. That year, a national BMX magazine ran an article on how to make one yourself. Soon, a company came out with a product that made it easier because they made a special pin for attaching it to each side of the brake.

I can see now it's back and moving it's way into the fixie crowd. Hahaha.
    Here is a much better version of that:

Here it is on a center pull brake:

Still pretty rad, and you have to remember, everything with bikes has been done before. Some french guy probably did this in the 1930s but there was no way for word to spread about it.

Cheers,
    -Gram
    Posted By: 2011I was doing this back in the mid 90's, about 15 years ago, with my BMX bikes. I say in all honesty that I was one of the first to try it out because I was having problems with that little piece of brake cable pulling out and snapping.

It started a HUGE trend in the BMX scene and EVERYONE was doing it. That year, a national BMX magazine ran an article on how to make one yourself. Soon, a company came out with a product that made it easier because they made a special pin for attaching it to each side of the brake.

I can see now it's back and moving it's way into the fixie crowd. Hahaha.

Everyone? I was racing BMX in the mid 90s and never saw it. What magazine covered it, or it didn't happen.
    Posted By: rollinsThat is a pretty nifty hack - I liked your grip shift brake idea too (under the right circumstances). People can nit-pick their flaws, but you're thinking out of the box and coming up with some good concepts. You could ask Josh Newman about the kickstart deal or just pull up the website yourself, but Josh probably has some good intel. You have two concepts that hack existing components - aside from selling your ability to hack to shop customers I think you would have to approach it by designing your own components that work specifically for the purpose that you have hacked them to achieve and work on finding funding for the patent process from there. Then you can sell the idea to manufacturers already in the industry - license the design out to them for a fee, sell the design ownership, or figure out how to produce it yourself.

Or you could take your advanced mechanic knowledge and get a high paying job at a job somewhere and use these tidbits in your resume to sell yourself. Maybe you can get employed as a designer at some component firm.

Thanks for all the kind words rollins!! And your ideas. I had a few beers in me when I posted this last night. Today it seems more of a pipe dream- it is much different then Josh Newmans idea as it is just a hack on existing things.

As for a higher paying job- I am so happy where I'm at. I actually get to HELP people work on their bikes, I teach mechanics classes and have free reign to build all the ridiculous bikes I want.... I don't think I could receive enough compensation to walk away from my current situation!!!
    • CommentAuthor2011

Posted By: hardsole5280
    Everyone? I was racing BMX in the mid 90s and never saw it. What magazine covered it, or it didn't happen.

Okay... not EVERYONE, of course. And it was not in the BMX racing... but more-so the street/dirt jumping/freestyle BMX scene. The article, I recall, was in a magazine called RIDE BMX. No way I could say what article.

Regardless... it does not matter it was done before. Now's a great time to bring this back into the fixed gear scene.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

I like the fact that since you are using chain, you can use colored chain to tie in with other parts of the build. You should try it with different types of chain, like 1/4" or 1/8" pitch, chainsaw chain or the kinds that have more than 2 plates per link and more than one roller per pin.

Posted By: hardsole5280 I'm just a wrench at a non profit bike shop.

Which one? I know some Denver cats that live in my town now.
    Posted By: LegislatorStill pretty rad, and you have to remember, everything with bikes has been done before. Some french guy probably did this in the 1930s but there was no way for word to spread about it.

That is pretty accurate. I've seen several older BMX dudes using chains as straddle cables. I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere online maybe five years ago. My worry was always that the chain would rattle, bash the frame, come loose, etc. Obviously most of those issues are with longer straddles, but still. I like that you're messing with convention. Keep going.
    Here's what I have seen:

Also, spoke straddle:

• CommentAuthorSkidMark

I've done the spoke straddle before and it didn't work that much better. U-brakes just kinda suck. Maybe it's because it is a cheap Tektro u-brake, but I can't see spending serious bucks on BMX brakes when most people don't even run brakes.
    I have an old LX u brake which I need to overhaul. I don't think I've taken one apart in at least ten years.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: suicide_doorsHere's what I have seen:

Also, spoke straddle:

man, and that bike is straight out of 1995.
    • CommentAuthor2011

Takes me back to the day riding my S&M Dirtbike! That was such an amazing bike, back in the day.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sandm/32395
    • CommentAuthorgreg

cool idea and execution. I second the idea to talk to JACN and John about their experience on Kickstarter if you are thinking of getting this into the stream of commerce
    Dang. They were doing it. Oh well. Not on canties!! I guess you didn't see it here first. My bad dogs.

Center pull bmx brakes DO suck. when properly adjusted by a professional bike mechanic, they will however slow you down, kinda. BRING BACK THE PITBULLS! For the win.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: hardsole5280Dang. They were doing it. Oh well. Not on canties!! I guess you didn't see it here first. My bad dogs.

Center pull bmx brakes DO suck. when properly adjusted by a professional bike mechanic, they will however slow you down, kinda. BRING BACK THE PITBULLS! For the win.
    my bmx brakes have always worked really well. i used to do all my friends' brake service because they liked my brakes so much. also, a bmx brake doesn't really need to stop you for more than a second during a tiretap/fufanu/etc.
    I'm totally happy to talk about how to make Kickstarter fly! I've done two projects, actually. The other one was a science fiction roleplaying game about anthropologists. I've got some... let's say "solid hypotheses" ... about what works with Kickstarter, and this is a neat idea. It's the simple, aesthetically punchy, non-obvious kind of project that goes really well on KS.

You can get me at joshua@joshuanewmandesign.com if you want to talk in private.

Do you have pics of this setup with cantis?

I'm a little concerned about the marketability of this, given that your most obvious market doesn't want brakes at all, and your second-most obvious market would have to pay for it with their allowance.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.