velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMtbfixed
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

I have an old rockhopper frame I am single speeding .I also have a new coaster brake hub that would be cool to use.No cables or levers,just like when I was a kid.The frame OLD is 135mm, the hub is 120 OLD according to Harris Cyclery.I've centered the axle and positioned the hub on the axle for proper chainline.Can I partially space and pinch the frame a nuts width on either side ? I've done this in a mock up with the hub and frame and will have to have the wheel dished slightly when the lbs laces it up.It seems like it should work,am I looking at trouble here,I would only be riding mild single track.
    If its steel just cold set the frame to 120, either ala sheldon brown with 2x4 and string, or have a trusted LBS do it the real way. You must have a cool coaster brake, all mine are spaced at 110.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

To tell you the truth,Harris Cyclery advertises this at 120 OLD,but my measurements are closer to 110 as well.
    Your chain tension is OK?
    I have seen replacement axles for coasters which fit 135 frames. the Swobo Folsom uses a Shimano coaster spaced at 135. I'm not a big fan of cold setting a frame like that so narrow.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

I haven't completely installed the chain yet.I set the chainline with a straight edge and measured with my dial calipers from my tool and die shop years.I did wrap the chain by hand and it looked fine.The rear drop outs are semi horizontal and should allow proper chain tension adjustment.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

I've decided to put a Shimano freewheel on the hub and get new brake levers,cables and pads.That leaves me open for a future Surly fixed/free 135mm OLD hub.Awesome.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.