velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorspader725
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010

So I have this old schwinn seatpost, but it doesn't have one of those clamp things that lets u clamp on a seat. What do I need to make this thing work?

• CommentAuthormeatman

...a new seatpost. they're cheap.
    • CommentAuthorspader725

Posted By: bensonisajewYou need one of these

http://www.amazon.com/standard-saddles-seatposts-inside-diameter/dp/B001GSKUAK

I actually have a couple of old seatpost with those things, but the post is too skinny to fit it. How do I know which one is the right size?

Posted By: meatman...a new seatpost. they're cheap.

Can you show me a link to buy such skinny seatposts? thanks
    Seems like you need to take a caliper to both ends of that baby...
    That's not a seatpost.
    • CommentAuthorspader725

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanThat's not a seatpost.

it was in the seat tube hole of the schwinn, so are you suggesting that the person i got it from intentionally stuck some random piece of metal into it and sat on it like that?
    I was going to say no, then I got to the end of your question, to which I say yes.
    • CommentAuthorspader725

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI was going to say no, then I got to the end of your question, to which I say yes.

...i want my ten bucks back. That would also explain the discoloring..

But seriously, if any1 knows what i need exactly, it would be much appreciated
    Since thats not a seat post what you need exactly is a seat post.
    • CommentAuthormeatman

Posted By: spader725Can you show me a link to buy such skinny seatposts? thanks

well, before I do YOUR research, I need to know what size seat post you need. I'm talking about the diameter, in mm. ie: 27.2, 31.8....... give some info if I have to do your dirty work....
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: spader725I actually have a couple of old seatpost with those things, but the post is too skinny to fit it.

I think I'm missing something. Did you take the seat clamp off one of those other straight posts, and attempt to clamp it on the one you've photographed?

Just from the look of it, there's nothing weird about the post. Up until the late '50s, that was the only kind of seatpost there was; they were all straight, with a smaller section at the top, to which you attached a separate clamp to hold the saddle. Better quality saddles like Brooks and Ideale came with clamps, because they wanted to make sure you had one. Those seatposts have been completely replaced by the post with integral saddle clamps, which are more practical. If the post is corroded into the seat tube, you can attach a saddle and use the saddle to twist the seatpost out. If you have a separate post and clamp, the clamp just turns around on the frozen post.

Aside from cheapie replacements from Summit and Kalloy, I think the only current posts with separate clamps are in the BMX world, where I believe the clamps are smaller. Is it possible you're using BMX posts/clamps on the other ones?

I'd try seeing how far down the other clamps will go. If they don't work, take the post to your LBS; the saddle clamps to fit it are usually less than $5.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag

I am assuming its off a varsity,continental right.well you need to get a mount off an older schwinn its a odd size unique to schwinn.hope that helps
    • CommentAuthorelhephe

that's a whole seat! just grease up and insert!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: elhephethat's a whole seat! just grease up and insert!

On the principle that it beats the airlines?
    Posted By: peazweag....you need to get a mount off an older schwinn its a odd size unique to schwinn.hope that helps

I don't believe it's schwinn-specific, but you need an older, very small clamp. I had a huffy from the 60's with a slim post. I recall it was 1/2" or 9/16"- definitely not metric. Call around or head to a shop that repairs vintage bikes.
    • CommentAuthorNash

• CommentAuthorSkidMark

OK.

That is a Schwinn seatpost. It is 13/16" in diameter and the top part is around 5/8". If you can find a Schwinn seat, you can use the seat guts from it. I have also had success making a shim from a piece of motorcycle handlebar, taking it to 7/8" which is the ID of standard seat guts.

Wald still makes 13/16" seatposts, and they make one that is 7/8" at the top to accept standard seat guts.

If you go back far enough most American bikes had the smaller size like the Schwinn has. I have a Monark and a Columbia with the same necked-down seatpost.

I can't believe this knowledge is so obscure, maybe I spend too much time here
    • CommentAuthorspader725
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010 edited

Thanks for the info skidmark, seems on par with the measurements i made today.

I took some pictures earlier today with ruler for some rough measurements of both ends of the seatpost, and also pics comparing it to another seatpost with a standard rail clamp:
    Wow. Thanks for the pics. Much easier to understand what's going on. Nice photos.

I think Nash might have your solution up there.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.