velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorScottjsf
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

I want to buy or build my first track bike but im not sure what I want I have a flexible $800 budget.
    I want something with aggressive geometry I like riding in my drops. I dont plan on doing any tricks maybe some wheelies
    I will be riding in southern california so the street are fairly smooth
    I have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 wich is a compact road frame so I would like something with similar geometry

The Leader 725 $260(everyone says its bad aluminum, bad welds, and ugly) I like the way it looks but is it a bad frame?
    I would build it up with a $200 IRO build kit(good but cheap) and Mavic CXP22 $160 and fork i dont know i would prefer carbon

or the Trek T1 frameset $450 with the same build

or the Felt TK3 $850 complete (im worried about to overlap for street riding)

Thanks for the input
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: ScottjsfI want something with aggressive geometry

Posted By: ScottjsfI have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 wich is a compact road frame so I would like something with similar geometry

Those two don't really go together.

Posted By: Scottjsfor the Trek T1 frameset $450 with the same build

Alex can tell you about that, maybe he'll show up

Posted By: Scottjsfor the Felt TK3 $850 complete

And benson about this. I know he'll show up.

And do you have your heart set on aluminum?
    • CommentAuthorJesse C

Cheap aluminum is mostly garbage. IRO Mark V is sweet for a cheap build.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Jesse CCheap aluminum is mostly garbage. IRO Mark V is sweet for a cheap build.

Well the only cheap aluminum frame he mentioned was the leader, but yeah, that is true.
    • CommentAuthorScottjsf

I just like the look of the thicker tubing on aluminum frames. isnt compact road agressive? I flipped and dropped the stem so it is more agressive.
    I would also like to eventually start track racing.
    All listed are great frames except the Leader. T1,Tk3 you are really not gonna feel the difference between those two in stiffness or feel except slight geometry differences that I doubt you will realize at first. Id say Tk3 for your first TRACK bike is a great deal, or if you are mostly going for a bike that can do everything from velodrome to street the IRO Mark V is a great choice or if you want something with less relax geo get a Soma Rush(Veggie jump in)
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: bensonisajew get a Soma Rush(Veggie jump in)

I can say the rush is a great frame. Although I will admit, its not the best deal around. You probably wouldn't notice the difference in the steel of a rush or a kilo tt.
    • CommentAuthorjesmerl

pista concept
    raleigh rush hour or dawes sst al with carbon fork
    Posted By: veggieAlex can tell you about that, maybe he'll show up

I'm actually a big fan of my T1 but I wouldn't pay $450 for it. I got mine hardly used at all for a GREAT deal so it's hard for me to say I would spend $450 on one. They are great bikes for commuting and (from what I've heard) they are also great on the track as well. Light as hellll and the aluminum is pretty stiff. I ride with Sylvan Pedals and XL All-City toe clips and only have about 1 inch of toe overlap at it's worst so that isn't a huge issue for me when commuting. I say if you are debating between the Leader and the T1 definitely spend a few more dollars and invest in the T1 because it is exponentially lighter and the welds are solid as fuck. Just make sure if you decide to get the T1 get the frameset and not the complete build.
    Moto team track?
    Iro, nuff said

street cred +1
    velospacecred +1
    Posted By: jesmerlpista concept

No
    I haven't ever read a single bad word about IRO. The Mark V will probably be one of your best (and more economical) options for a frame if you are going to be using for street riding. It isn't super aggressive and the fork has a decent amount of rake (I have big feet and still have clearance for my toes). Probably less "track" than the tk3 or t1.

Posted By: veggieYou probably wouldn't notice the difference in the steel of a rush or a kilo tt.

You could make a pretty awesome Kilo TT if you threw $800 at it, then when you start going to a velodrome you could swap it out for something more track specific.
    • CommentAuthoryong
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

i got my brand new fuji track comp2010 red and white (complete) for $800 on ebay....think is good deal right?
    great bike..
    ... No.
    • CommentAuthoryong
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited

lol i know its bit to much..but i like it.

$800 go with IRO!!!
    Oh, there's nothing wrong with a FTC, but yeah, $800 is high.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

Posted By: yong$800 go with the kilo

ftfy
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: yong$800 go with the kilo

ftfy

yes 800, get a kilo and buy a new wheelset for it and save some $$$, more than good enough for a starter bike, and real solid, dont start out on aluminum, just my opinion.
    street cred is not everything

thumbs down on IRO from me

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.