velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I need a front brake for another coaster brake build.
    I have an extra rear brake sitting around.
    The frame only has the fork drilled for brakes.
    Can I convert the rear brake into a front by changing out the brake bolt?
    Should I just buy a front brake?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

Posted By: jayohachenCan I convert the rear brake into a front by changing out the brake bolt?

I believe so, but... With older, nutted brakes, the brake bolt was the only difference between front and rear. With newer recessed brakes, I'm not so sure. Campagnolo uses dual-pivot brakes in front and single-pivot brakes in the rear as a weight saving measure; otherwise, I don't think there's any functional difference.
    Cool! It's an old Campy Cobalto brake. I didn't want to buy the a front bolt and not have it work.
    Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

You might also need a longer recessed brake nut (whats the actual name for this?).

Also, do you have the matching front on one of your bikes? You could always compare them.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: jayohachenCool! It's an old Campy Cobalto brake. I didn't want to buy the a front bolt and not have it work.
    Thanks!

You might want to be careful with that; those are worth some fetishist bux.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

sell the cobalto.
    buy a tektro.
    Went to LBS.
    Found ratty brake in misc. bin for $4.
    Installed.

Thanks for all the help all.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.