velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey all.
    This is just a question regarding two track frames that are mentioned in the title (Kissena and Lo Pro) and which of the two would be better for a commuting. I travel about 30 miles a day, which perhaps doesn't seem much but I like to get to places fast. The Kissena being light was my first option but I am unsure how it will stand up to constant commute in NYC. I dont plan to go to the track with either of these bikes nor do I plan to do any tricks with these; I am just curouis what the Velo Space community has to say about these frames in relation to commuting daily. Also the Kissena being brakeless is no problem for me as well.
    Two completely different frames. Kissena is aluminum, Lo pro is steel. Lo pro is pretty damn sexy but it's not a sensible option for commuting because it's a little too aggressive (cats here will most likely contest this). I'd say go with the Kissena if you had to choose from the two. However, why not the Metropolitan frame? affordable steel frame that has a little bit of both.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010

You travel 30 miles a day , and you want to get there fast, and you never plan on going to the velodrome..Fuck it, I'll say it , get a road bike . It really sounds like what you want, even though it doesnt have the cool factor of a track ready fixed gear bike.
    I had thought about the Metropolitan as well, however the guy that Affinty suggested the Lo pro. Just incase I ever thought about dabbling at the track.
    Affinity Lo Pro is not at all aggressive it has tight wheelbase but IS NOT A PURSUIT FRAME in fact its a pretty comfortable ride. It just has a longer seat tube for sloping effect. Go for the Lo Pro if you are riding street and Kissena for the velodrome.
    • CommentAuthorawk308
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010

Go lo. If you are really going to ride daily on the streets of NY, your body will appreciate the steel. They are super sexy too and you will save lots of cash for upgrades, Campy records, brooks, Phils etc. If you shop around and have patience a used one will come up for sale on CL or Ebay.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

You say you'd like to get there fast and your commute is 30 miles, then say you want a track bike. That just doesnt seem like logical thinking to me. i agree with matt, get a road bike. with the cost of a lo pro you could easily get a used road bike within whatever your budget is.
    Is there like an influx of stupid lately or what? I mean stuff like this, over the usual stupidity of whether or not toshi straps are the "best".

"I wanna commute 50 miles round trip on a track bike, what are the best cranks I can buy??"

"I wanna commute 30 miles a day on a sweet fixie, should I get a 5 mile ride sweet fixie coffee bike, or an overpriced, mediocre aluminum frame?"

Durrrrrrrrrrr.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Well... are Toshi straps the best??????
    30 miles isn't that bad on a bike, and fast is subjective.

The nice part of riding fix in a city is the lack of maintenance required, particularly the winter when you have a lot of salt and grim getting everywhere. You go home and you don't have to think about, maybe wipe it down, and occasionally grease the chain. Road bikes don't take much to keep clean, but for the people who aren't enthusiast it can seem overwhelming.

That being said aluminum in the city is a disaster waiting to happen, if you are going down your frame is going to be toast.

I'd stick to either the Lo-pro and Metropolitan, and if you're doing 30 miles I'd stick to the metropolitan cause it'll feel better, if you're interested in track riding then get the lo-pro just know that its not going to feel great at the end of 30 miles
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

i'm not going to join the chorus of people telling you to get a roadbike because I understand fixed gear bikes for the ciy (low maintenance, simple, etc... But you should get either a 3 or a 5 speed Archer or SRAM rear hub, perhaps even with a coaster brake.

bam. sexiness of a fixed gear with minimalist frame look, practicality and speed, no maintenance, and faster trips.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: ncecchibam. sexiness of a fixed gear with minimalist frame look, practicality and speed, no maintenance, and faster trips.

But its not brakeless brah
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

just get one of the 3 speed hubs without a brake.

then you'll be super bad-ass since you'll have to slow down like the bum you inevitably see riding the $2000 Mash Collabo that he just stole - stick your foot in the front fork and do a frontflip into a city bus.
    Well, thanks everyone for the advice. I went with the Lo Pro according to the guys at Affinity it was the best choice for riding in the city. And the little commute I do every day. Thanks Again
    • CommentAuthorper.k

cool beans
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010

Congrats. I've commuted on my Lo Pro for over two years without complaint. For the street (and out of those two specific choices) Lo Pro for sure. If the Kissena were the same price and I'm were re-buying new, I'd get it but for intents to track ride it as well. The comparison wasn't really there to begin with as someone mentioned. Totally different animal: material, price range, geo, etc.

Looks like I'll see you around. Mine's all black with celeste colored tape on my RB-021's. Should if you see me.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.