velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/1871182360.html
    is this a good bike overall, i know cant see much of the whole bike.
    at that price, do it. Do it now.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010

Posted By: perctronguyhttp://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/1871182360.html
    is this a good bike overall, i know cant see much of the whole bike.

Lemonds (even the Trek Lemonds, like this'n) are American-made bikes, and are reputedly well-made. From the description, I'd guess it's a 1998:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=77969&Type=bike

So, the Reynolds is Reynolds 525, which was sort of the replacement for the traditional 531. 1998-2000 were the 525 years, after using True Temper for the first two model years. Lemond converted the Tourmalet to the lighter/fancier/butted/air-hardened Reynolds 853 in 2001-02, discontinued the model in 2003, and brought it back in 6066 aluminum in 2004, with an OLCV carbon spine in 2008.

It's a triple (21 gears = 3x7), and it's probably got most of the original Shimano RSX componentry.

I'd say $150 for a running steel Lemond is a pretty good price, if it fits - which is an open question. Lemond made the '98 Tourmalet in a 55 and a 57, and standard flat-toptube Lemonds have a reputation for riding bigger than similar-sized bikes by other manufacturers. But it sounds like it's worth a look.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

7 speed sti? I didnt know that shimano ever made sub 8 speed brifters. You learn something new everyday.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

+1 to Fumingator
    BUY IT NOW
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited

Wes - ONLY the RSX gruppo came with 7 speed brifters and only for 2 years before upgrading to 8 speed. If you want to update a Shimano 7 speed drivetrain to brifters the RSX is your only option.

My '97 Cannodale Silk Road 500 (CAAD3) has the full RSX gruppo on it. They came in doubles and triples. Very smooth.
    Off subject (sorry) but are you just spelling shifter wrong as "brifter" or is this something I need to learn about?

On subject, BUY IT.
    I loved my Tourmalet, despite the fact that it was made for a woman. When I have some cash, I fully intend to buy a men's LeMond with OX Platinum or 853. Shit was magics.
    • CommentAuthorJbherlihy

I've got a 99' tourmalet triple, and I love it, alot. You should buy it, this is half the price I paid for mine and I thought I got a great deal. So far there is nothing I dislike about this bike. and its YELLLOW.............SIIICK.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: brooklynbombsOff subject (sorry) but are you just spelling shifter wrong as "brifter" or is this something I need to learn about?

Brake/shifter on the same lever.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsI loved my Tourmalet, despite the fact that it was made for a woman. When I have some cash, I fully intend to buy a men's LeMond with OX Platinum or 853. Shit was magics.

Last year, I missed out on a Kelly green 2003 Alpe d'Huez (Reynolds 853), which another bike swap guy was hauling around. Got the International instead.

For modern (index era) classic geometry bikes, Lemond is about as good as it gets short of a custom frame.
    I bought the 853 Tourmalet on eBay. It arrived with an undisclosed, penny-sized dent in the seat tube, and with a sticker clearly marking it a 49W instead of a 49CM. Needless to say, I was unhappy. Still though, great ride. I sold it for more than I paid, so I can't really complain.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010

SD - Well, you can complain.. It's that high of getting exactly what you've been looking for and then the dredges of finding out that it's almost, but almost doesn't work and the hunt has to begin again..
    the sizing might be the problem now. im 5 6 and that bike might be a little too big.
    Well, LeMonds run larger than most modern road frames. What size is it?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

It's the tt that's longer, not that the frame is larger. Greg liked to be stretched out on his frames a bit which is why frames that match my long leg length don't bother me.

perctronguy - what's your inseam?

Not that you probably have to worry about it, it's most likely already long gone.
    Posted By: RuffinitIt's the tt that's longer, not that the frame is larger.

That's awfully nitpicky. Yes, the TT is long... Thus making the frame feel larger than a similarly sized modern frame from a different designer. You know, cause it is.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited

Okay, but that is a big deciding factor. On an LHT I feel like I'm a stoker on a tandem... way short.
    Oh, I totally agree. The reason I sold the Tourmalet I had was that it was shorter than I had been expecting.

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.