velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I just received a panicked call from a friend who came out of class to find that some one has filled his lock with super glue. His main worry is that some one is planning on coming back later to strip all the stuff off his bike (though its not really worth it) but it could also be a prank. What ever the reason, it would be really nice to know hot to remedy this problem, open the lock, and ride home.

any suggestions?
    Try some Goof off
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

Wait in the bushes with a 2x4. This is your chance!
    haha thats going to be a shitty night if it turns out just to be a prank and no on is coming. Yeah I suggested goof off, but haven't heard back yet if it worked. Apparently it was full enough with super glue that the key wouldn't even start to go in. Hopefully just dripping a ton of goof off is enough, but I kind of feel like it might need to soak in something.
    • CommentAuthorchain suck
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010 edited

fyi. Acetone did the trick. Turned it into a snotty consistency that could be scraped out. Goof off was a no go.
    haha that sucks, i bet he would have just come back later and taken the parts. This one guy i knew did it to this kids locker, and it was near where we sat in the morning, and just one day the kid came strolling up to his locker with the prinicipal and they either cut it or pulled it of. It is able to be pulled out if you use enough force
    • CommentAuthorGoggles
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

i would have done the 2x4 idea
    I had some dumb shit do this to a padlock at work once.
    I took a butane torch to it, which melted the glue enough to get the key in and unlock it. I then sprayed it real well with penetrating oil & now it works better than before! I shoot it with the penetrating oil about every two weeks so should they try it again the glue doesn’t stick, thus defeating there little prank.

I still have the 2x4 option...
    Posted By: stinky peteI had some dumb shit do this to a padlock at work once.
    I took a butane torch to it, which melted the glue enough to get the key in and unlock it. I then sprayed it real well with penetrating oil & now it works better than before! I shoot it with the penetrating oil about every two weeks so should they try it again the glue doesn’t stick, thus defeating there little prank.

I still have the 2x4 option...

Where do you work? I can stake it out for you incase he one day decides to come back and try it again, you will have to supply the "2x4" tho :(

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.