velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrickdog81
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

I know variations on this thread have been beat to death with a stick but what I am looking for is not a chainring x cog recommendation.
    I have been riding single speed for 5 years now and just now started to think about putting a cog on the fixed side of my cog.
    What is a good all around street commuting gear inch or gear ratio if you prefer?

Some requirement for my gearing:
    I commute about 18 miles from downtown LA to UCLA, then back, so the gearing must be comfortable for long distances.
    The gearing needs to keep me fast enough to blend in with traffic, although most of the time I am zooming in between lanes of traffic.
    The gearing should not spin out too easily.

Gears I have tried:
    I used to live in SF/Berkeley and have been riding 48x20 or 63.1 gear inches. Was great for hills but in LA I spin-out often and exert lots of effort spinning and catching my breath. But was great for long distances.
    I recently borrowed a friends 16t cog. 48x16 or 78.8 gear inches feels nice and fast. Haven't met a hill I couldn't conquer in the two days I have ridden this set up. Doesn't spin out. But hard to backpedal in order to slow down and isn't that the whole point of riding fixed over single speed (maybe I need weeks of riding to build up those muscles).

Big difference to go from 63.1 to 78.8. So where in the middle will I be able to backpedal to slow down, keep a fast pace without spinning out, and not get tired or muscle spasms/cramps over 20 miles.
    try out 48x17 thats what I used to run its great for pretty much everything, I run 52x17 now :p
    • CommentAuthorMKE_BIKE

yea i did 48x17 for a while and loved it
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I always suggest 50x14 :D
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

No higher than 72 gear inches.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

46/17. Low 70s is where its at for city riding.
    • CommentAuthorJameson_C

48/17 is perfection for streets.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Anything between 65- to maybe 75. I run 49-18, 73.5 inches. It's getting too easy on flats/hills though. I think I may go to 49-17, which is 77 inches; that's the same as what I used to run, 46-16. For now though, 49-18 is just perfect!!
    • CommentAuthor1speed

i love 48-13
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

49-15!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Here come the idiots with the track gearing on the streets.
    Posted By: Jameson_C48/17 is perfection for streets.

yes it is. magical.
    Posted By: Jameson_C48/17 is perfection for streets.
    • CommentAuthorRood

I know you want higher, but you should go mid 50s.
    you'll learn to spin really fast
    Posted By: RoodI know you want higher, but you should go mid 50s.
    you'll learn to spin really fast

and look absolutely ridiculous in the process :p

What happens when the zombie apocalypse comes and you can't outride the zombies because your ratio is 42x18??
    • CommentAuthorSloth

46/15 does me good. 80 or so gear inches. With a little practice the backpedaling isn't too hard, also if needed, skipping is not hard either.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

48/17 is awesome for that ride. i take the metrolink to union, transfer onto the red line onward to Wilshire/Western. and from there a straight shot down to sunset village to visit my brother sometimes. those nasty little hills by the hotels can be murder though.
    • CommentAuthorCanadaSteep
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited

I was on 49-19 for some time...and dropped to 48. I noticed a good bit of diff. at 48.
    Maybe it's just easier for now and I'll readjust and it will feel different?

It just feels a lot smoother on the pedal stroke.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Posted By: wes m.46/17. Low 70s is where its at for city riding.

Or 46/19 - its a fantastic ratio that will get you spinning and not destroy your knees
    • CommentAuthorCanadaSteep
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited

^^A buddy just blew out his knee, last day of a week/10-day mechanic's course :(

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.