velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited

** THE BIKES PROFILE IF YOU WANNA READ THE SPECS, OR ADD IT :) http://velospace.org/node/29327 **

I'll start from the top . I've gone through several track bikes, and could never really find a frame I was crazy about the fit. Some of my bikes have been a little too big, some felt a little too small, or just not right . Recently, I gave in, bit the bullet, and went custom. My choice for the builder was a easy one, Bishop Bikes from my hometown , Baltimore Md. The builder, Chris Bishop, completed the Yamaguchi frame builders school under Koichi Yamaguchi, and has completed the Serotta fit program, so I knew he was very educated in what I wanted .

Dedacciai down tube
    Columbus Life top tube
    Reynolds 725 heat treated curved chainstays made exclusively for Serotta
    True Temper S3 headtube (newest from TT , crazy stiff)
    Seat tube angle - 72
    Head tube angle 74.5
    bottom brack drop - 50 (same as the Look 496 track frame)

When I went to get sized (which took hours ) , I rode his serotta bike fitter, and he tells me ,"geesh, you have a long femur! (thigh)" Because of this, for me to get the maximum out of my stroke, I needed a 72 degree angle seat tube, which is uncommon on track bikes, where 74-75 is more standard. This explains why I wasnt feeling right . Also , I have long legs, and a short torso, so I would want a longer seat tube than top tube, but the standard for some reason now a days is having the top tube longer than the seat tube. Especially with NJS frames, where they have shorter legs and longer upper body. My final measurement came out to be 56.5cm seat tube, 54cm top tube.

I knew I wanted lugged steel, but he went above and beyond my expectations. All the lugs were fillet brazed over in silver, which is much much more expensive than normal brazing, then filed all the lugs to a smooth, flat point.

Meanwhile , I had the task of picking out what parts would be fitting for this bike. I wanted it to be higher end , being that this bike will be seeing a lot of saddle time, both street and track time this year (and years to come) and I didnt want to have the urge to replace parts shortly after.

so ... drive train was a easy choice , dura ace 7710 . I opted for the Shimano Ultegra 6500 bottom bracket, as it is completely identical to the dura ace 7710, except weighs about half, due to alloy cups instead of steel. In the picture, I had the 6500 and the 7710 to compare each.

Well, the frame was all ready , and our choice was powder coat instead of wet paint. Powder coating is much more durable, it can be much cheaper , and has a nice look to it . There was only one place we were comfortable to do the work , and that was Spectrum Powder Works .They are the only place , period, that can inlay graphics into the powder coat, and other technical jobs that other coaters can't do . I could have gone with literally any color scheme , but I chose black , with a silver pearl clear coat, with metallic silver logos.

Also, since we were sending the frame, I also sent my toe clips , and deda drop bars to color match :

Well, the frame and parts came back from the powder coaters, and we love the results. The silver pearl is subtle , but you can see a sparkle in the sunlight . Also, when choosing a headset (1 1/8 threadless) our options were a Chris King, or Cane Creek. After reading the specs, and having each of the headsets infront me , the Cane Creek 100 headset was what I was going with . They created the threadless headset, and I think do it the best. Their bearings couldnt be smoother (not to mention, the silver 100 headset has machining lines that match perfectly to the thompson components.)

After riding it around for about a week, and getting used to it, and all dialed in, today I had a chance to get its final photos.. enjoy !

The fork is the brand new Edge Composites carbon track fork ( http://www.edgecomposites.com/forks/track.aspx ) . It is 390g uncut , and even lighter now that its cut and on the bike. Edge hand makes each fork to order, and are very stiff and responsive (33mm rake)

Easton EC90 Track drops with Fizik wrap

White Concor Comfort Perf to make my black Concor Comfort Perf

My name, IN the powder coat, not sure how they do it ..

The detail work you get with a high end custom frame

perfect .

EDIT : I got a crazy deal on a Zipp 900 dimpled track disc, and Zipp 808 dimpled front track wheel, so I sold the Cane Creeks .

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010

wow. this is beautiful. What an amazing job they and you did. thanks for posting such great pictures!
    Amazing build!
    This is great very sexy bike
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

beautiful
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Words cannot express how beautiful this is. My hat is off to you.
    Wow, what a great build. Those tapered frame ends look amazing. Also, I'm now tempted to give myself a swift kick in the ass for not jumping on a set of those Cane Creeks when the gettin' was good.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Posted By: Mancha150wow. this is beautiful. What an amazing job they and you did. thanks for posting such great pictures!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

The CC 85's are great wheels, I'm very happy to own them. They perform great on the track. Thanks for the nice words, I'm very happy with this bike. The tapered track ends were originally like twice as long. Bishop cut and hand filed them to that shape .
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

Wow, you have quite a beautiful bike on your hands. btw great pics too.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited

Dammit, now my bike looks like shit. I just have to remember the fact that it's being raced.
    • CommentAuthorgchain

Beautiful bike man, really nice build !
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

Very nice
    • CommentAuthorFlat Four
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

Amazing! Job well done.
    SUPER fucking nice. That's all I got to say.
    • CommentAuthorjms88278
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

Wow man, this is incredible. I think this may have just made me want to go custom.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: jms88278Wow man, this is incredible. I think this may have just made me want to go custom.

DO IT ! it's definitely money well spent . Give Bishop an email .
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Velospace really needs more build threads with instant gratification like this one.
    • CommentAuthorpeterabbit

track only? i noticed you dont have a lockring on that rear hub
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

well those wheels are track only (tubulars ) I dont use a lockring on the track , but I have my clincher wheelset for the street that uses one.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I realize that on the track you are not resisting the pedal rotation more than to slow down, much less skidding, but isn´t it still dangerous to not have a lockring on the hub?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

no , its totally safe not using a lock ring . If you tighten the cog with a chainwhip, it will stay on there. Being that theres never back pressure, theres nothing to loosen the cog . Most guys at the track don't even have a lockring tool in their tool kit .
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thats interesting. I knew my dura ace NJS lockring was just a ploy to make 11.99 dollars off of fixed gear riders! I personally hate dealing with lockring removal (could be my tendency to over tighten, or the fact that I have a lockring-chainwhip-bottle opener tool...again, "for the fixed gear riders"), so I am sure people on the track only see it as adding stress to their routine.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

most lock rings are njs stamped, so I assume Japanese keirin riders have to use them, but not here. When your at the track, you may switch your cog 2 times and chainring 2-3 times in a day, a lock ring just makes things take longer .
    So the only reason you don't ride a lock ring, is to make it faster to change your cog?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010 edited

I dont know about this no lockring business. In my very limited experience riding track I have seen a few races come to a nearly complete stop. I think a lockring on a track is similar to a seat belt. 99% of the time you wont need it but that 1% when you do need it and dont have it, youre f'ed.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010 edited

Posted By: wes m.I dont know about this no lockring business. In my very limited experience riding track I have seen a few races come to a nearly complete stop. I think a lockring on a track is similar to a seat belt. 99% of the time you wont need it but that 1% when you do need it and dont have it, youre f'ed.
    when they come to a dead stop (in match sprints) they're usually going <10mph to begin with. at adt, they recommend not using a lockring.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

Some of the top riders in the country , including more than one 2012 US olympic contender , Marty Nothstein (only US olympic gold metal cyclist) , his coach Giddy and several other big names all ride the track I ride.. Not one person uses a lockring . The first time I asked around for a lockring tool, they laughed , one of the top mechanics told me to throw it away cause literally no one uses one . On the street, use one 100% , on the track you just dont need one .
    Thank God! Now I can save an extra 16 grams off my bike. Sweeeeet.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

It has nothing to do with weight savings ... they just arnt really needed
    ;-) I was joking. C'mon now!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

you are kind of a weight weenie though :)
    It's hard not to be, being involved with cycling today. They drill the whole lightweight thing into your head. It's unavoidable. I'm as much of a sucker for it as anyone else, even though I can attest to it being pretty irrelevant for track racing.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

how much was the custom frame + powder?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

the frame , edge carbon fork, and powder coat was 2100.00
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Beautiful, but why pics of an Easton instead of the color matched Deda?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I got the deda's color matched, but after riding each, I liked the look and feel of the eastons more. I shot the pictures as how it will be at the track, and the eastons are just a better bar.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

there is absolutely not one negative thing that can be said about this bike, in my opinion. phenomenal.
    amazing bike, deermatt. thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorbillysan
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Utterly stunning, thankyou for sharing.
    look at those curved chainstays! beautiful! all around awesome build!
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

The only thing that I absolutely hate about this build is that it's not mine. Although, your old Umezawa WAS my favorite on velospace.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

• CommentAuthordeermatt

Cool, thanks Greg! I don't use Twitter, but do you put up a bike on the velospace Twitter each day?

One thing I forgot to write in the description , the seat tube and the downtube progressively get bigger towards the bb shell. The chainstays where they meet the bb shell are larger than average, all in all making everything really stiff.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Posted By: deermattCool, thanks Greg! I don't use Twitter, but do you put up a bike on the velospace Twitter each day?

One thing I forgot to write in the description , the seat tube and the downtube progressively get bigger towards the bb shell. The chainstays where they meet the bb shell are larger than average, all in all making everything really stiff.

Yes - check the velospace front page, the "Featured Bikes" section in the middle are the bikes of the day which are posted on Twitter and cross-linked to the "Featured Bikes" panel.
    • CommentAuthorKaleo
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Nothing like custom made bike, and your bike Sir, is certainly a beauty. Classic black and clean, the only thing I must admit I was disappointed with was the fork, I guess I was expecting to see some beautiful flat crowned fork to complement those lovely lugs. Can't tell if it's carbon fiber or steel?
    Hmm your lugs are really similar to my Samson's by Harada San. I am pretty sure he designed those lugs and you have adapted them beautifully into your Track Frame. Congrats on the new whip and god speed...
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Posted By: KaleoNothing like custom made bike, and your bike Sir, is certainly a beauty. Classic black and clean, the only thing I must admit I was disappointed with was the fork, I guess I was expecting to see some beautiful flat crowned fork to complement those lovely lugs. Can't tell if it's carbon fiber or steel?

The fork us full carbon , including the steerer tube. I wanted this to be modern, yet still lugged steel . The fork is very stiff, yet carbon has shock absorption properties , and saved at least 1lb off the front . The fork is only 333 grams with the uncut steerer , around 290g cut.

Posted By: kleansupremeHmm your lugs are really similar to my Samson's by Harada San. I am pretty sure he designed those lugs and you have adapted them beautifully into your Track Frame. Congrats on the new whip and god speed...

I think the lugs are my frame are Henry James lugs , maybe similar to the ones on your Samson , but I dont think theyre exactly the same . Bishop also filed them down and manipulated them, so they dont look as they did originally.
    • CommentAuthorjohnboysays
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited

Bars and tape look awesome.

Hub is un-fucking-real.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010

These hubs have been around since the 7-11 era.
    I don't understand. They look too cool either way.

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.