velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I was cleaning out my room the other day, and my room mates were giving me shit for how manny bikes I had. I was accused of having 6 bikes, but I defended that i really only had three on the basis that there are only three bikes that are built up into a rideable state. Since said discussion I have been second guessing myself. The poetic bike loving side of me wants to say that it is a bike as soon as you have the frame, or even maybe a tube set and lugs. But the rational side of me can't really justify having 6 bikes. So I really need to pin down my definition of a bike. So far I haven't been satasfied with Merriam-Webster on this one.

"Main Entry: 1bi·cy·cle
    Pronunciation: \ˈbī-si-kəl, -ˌsi- also -ˌsī-\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, from bi- + -cycle (as in tricycle)
    Date: 1863
    : a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled; also : a stationary exercise machine that resembles such a vehicle"

I feel like we can come up with something better.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

The Buddha and the chariot all over again.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy

Posted By: SkidMarkThe correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

+1
    It’s a moot point really, as one can never have too many bikes...
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: SkidMarkThe correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

Posted By: stinky peteIt’s a moot point really, as one can never have too many bikes...

I like both of these. Although in this house, once a bike looses its wheels and goes into the attic, it is no longer considered a bike and either my dad or I can get another one.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

Posted By: veggie... in this house, once a bike looses its wheels and goes into the attic, it is no longer considered a bike and either my dad or I can get another one.

I like this
    • CommentAuthorRood
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

n+1 presents problems, especially for people like me (packrats)

I just end up with a mountain of (mostly) shit
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Sell the shit to get what you want out of your bikes. Currently I have a road race/training, road fun, track doitall, and bmx. I'm working on a track racer, a ss grocer getter/fat tired and fendered commuter, and I would like a ss 29er.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited

Posted By: Bamfs01
    Posted By: veggie... in this house, once a bike looses its wheels and goes into the attic, it is no longer considered a bike and either my dad or I can get another one.

I like this

Ditto. Basically: Number of bikes you own = number of bikes visible at any one time. If some are in the attic, basement, or around the corner, they don't really count. Also, a bike has to be fully operational to be considered a bike. Frame ≠ bike. Frame + wheels ≠ bike. Frame + wheels + some but not all parts ≠ bike.
    • CommentAuthorJethro666

the only part it can b missing and still b a bike in my book is the chain. otherwise, if it isn't complete it isn't a bike. it's just some tubes and wheels.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

For the OP's purpose I'd say its a bike once it takes up one bikes worth of space.

I have this battle all the time. Right now I have a "road fun" bike, a fat tired fendered light tourer/commuter, a ss 26" mtb set up as a cruiser, a ss 29er mtb, a track/street fixed bike, a bmx, and a ladies 3 speed. I have sold 3 bikes in the last 6 months just to get down to these ones. I could build another bike or two out of my parts bins if I had frames.

When someone tells me I have too many bikes I use the Maury Show trouble teen defense: "i dont care! youre not the boss of me! ima do what i want!"

All my bikes have different purposes. I draw the line at having multiple bikes that serve the same purpose.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited

Posted By: quidoseThe Buddha and the chariot all over again.

There's a woodworker's joke along the same lines: "I still have my grandfather's axe. I've only had to change the handle three times and the head twice."

Posted By: wes m.I draw the line at having multiple bikes that serve the same purpose.

Definitely.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: latronBasically: Number of bikes you own = number of bikes visible at any one time.

I'll accept that definition. I have a folding Bianchi that's been in my basement for about 25 years; I never count it.

I wonder if it's rusted to shit, or if it's still salvageable? I should go dig it out...

Posted By: wes m.For the OP's purpose I'd say its a bike once it takes up one bikes worth of space.

Yeah, I think that's about right. If it takes up the space of a bike, it's a bike; functionality is not the issue. Short version: Frameset = bike. I have three non-functional frame/sets that I include in the headcount; one of them has a VS listing.
    I've got a lot of bike parts at this point. Probably less than some of you guys, but more than many. Every so often, I take the stuff I don't want to a bike co-op near here and deposit it for the benefit of those who need functioning, if not good, bikes.
    Posted By: eaglerock Short version: Frameset = bike. I have three non-functional frame/sets that I include in the headcount; one of them has a VS listing.

non-functional as in broken frames? I have my first road bike frame hanging up on my wall because it buckled, but I would have trouble considering it one of my bikes.
    I've got a folded up Cannondale frame. It's not a bike.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

Posted By: Steven Bellnon-functional as in broken frames?

In most cases, I mean 'non-functional' as in 'not rolling'; but in one case, 'non-functional' actually means 'busted tubes that would collapse under your weight if you attempted to ride it' (2001 Marin Treviso with cracked downtube). I consider it a bike because it's already a project; I've sourced a replacement downtube, I have the framebuilder picked out for the repair, I have the hotsy-totsy crabon fork and a bunch of swanky parts assembled, I need to take an expedition up to Novato to harass Marin for replacement decals. I just need to save up the nickels and dimes to do the actual surgery. If it isn't a bike, I've put an awful lot of effort into a piece of junk.

The Bertin has graduated from carcass-for-strippage to an actual project with a build thread.

The Novara Alance frame isn't exactly a bike at the moment, partly because it has no fork, and partly because it's been living in the trunk of my car all year, as I haul it around bike swaps. I think this falls within the latron Theorem; if I can't see it, it doesn't count.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited

Posted By: eaglerockthe latron Theorem

Am working on reducing my ratio of seen to unseen bikes. Currently at 53% (7.5 total, but only 4 visible). All spare parts are hidden, but they're kind of like plutonium to me -- invisible but ever-present.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

Give away everything you don't use - don't even sell it.

A bike is a bike when your a legally defined as a reasonable person and you feel confident you can go downhill with the damn thing and not get hurt.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.