velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjake12
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

I'm chancing my arm here with getting some advice from ya'll...

Same old story - been cycling for years on ragged old bikes, too afraid of splashing cash on a new bike in the city of bike thieves. But I'm thinking about forking out for a fixed gear or at least trying to pull together the pieces and build one up (with a shit load of help). I've been on the hunt for a couple of months but I've had no joy with picking up a decent frame and I reckon like everything else in Dublin the good bikes in the shops are way over priced (might not be too bad with the bike to work thing and getting the tax off).

Long story short - any thoughts should I go brand new (seen Giant Bowery for €550) or persevere with the build (have a contact in new york that could help).

Much thanks to anyone even taking the time to read this.

Peace and happy riding
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Mancha will tell you everything you want to know about the Giant Bowery.
    That seems like quite a bit for a Bowery.

I have always enjoyed putting things together, so I would recommend staggering your budget and buy the bike piece by piece; beginning with the frame.

Posted By: quidoseMancha will tell you everything you want to know about the Giant Bowery.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

You stated that you might be able to swing a new bike with the BTW and Tax incentives.. Building a bike can be cheap or it can end up costing you more than a good price on a new bike. Pretty much depends on your environment which of course you know Dublin better than most of us. Maybe you can pick up something cheaper by checking out the London Fixed site.. But if they're giving you incentives to ride and you do that anyway, why not go for a new one if it brings it down to your budgetary range?
    • CommentAuthorjake12

Cheers for the feedback ya'll, much appreciated.

Quite a few heads here have been saying something similar as you Ruffinit - works out at something like 13euro a week off the wage packet on this scheme. Not a bad way to get started on the fixed side of life...
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: quidoseMancha will tell you everything you want to know about the Giant Bowery.

HaHa! Quidose, you have a good memory. You are a good friend. I almost forgot how fast my bike was. I cannot believe I didnt notice this thread earlier
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Jake,

550 euros is way too much for a giant bowery. I know these bikes. They are fast, they look comfortable for the huevos (top tube), and they turn heads (I can guarantee at least one a week). Be that as it may, if you enjoy working on bikes just build something up from scratch with nicer parts. Not because they will make you go faster (RPM cranks are the fastest), but because they will last longer and be more comfortable. If you would have to import things that are much more expensive, it is a good bike to start with. quidose and loves the money shots (sorry, it was my only opportunity) just dont like that I turned a fast bowery into a faster maldita chilanga just by playing a black and white color scheme. Good luck! I wish I had some suggestions specifically about dublin.
    • CommentAuthorjake12
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

That's all good Mancha, cheers
    • CommentAuthormatt byrne
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

Howaya Jake
    Have you been on dublinfgss.com? We've been going for nearly a year now and the community's getting bigger by the day. Most of what I've bought over the years has been from this site or ebay etc. Shop wise in town there's not many doing it, the biggest, Cycleways and Cycological can be quite cuntish really. The lads in Rathmines in Thinkbike are pretty sound, I've been going in and out for years and they're really helpful once they know you but again quite limited. The lads in City Cycles over in Blackhall Place just off the Liffey are bang on, ask for Lorcan or Mark, I ride a bit with them and they're sound, because they all ride fixed they generally have the best (but limited) selection in stock in Dublin but can get you in anything via Bricklane bikes in London. They're unbelievably helpful and will help on a whim. For the money you're talking-€1000- with the bike to work scheme pop into the lads and they'll build it up anyway you want to your budget, whatever floats your boat, colours, nice Italian bits etc. Giz a shout if you need any help etc, I'm living in Rathmines and glad to help.
    • CommentAuthorjake12
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

Nice one for the heads up Matt.

I'll be sure to check out dublinfgss.com. I'm actually just making my way down this week to the lads in City Cycles to see if they can hook something up. My girlfriend picked up a Pashley off them and she's got nothing but good things to say about the guys so hoping we might be able to work something out.

Cheers

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.