velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm in the market to purchase a new track frame for fixed gear street riding. no trickage really. well, maybe in the future, but for now, the only stress on the frame will be my skid and hop skid, curb hopping, some mashing, and some pretty shitty road conditons. i like both of these frames, and im leaning towards the Surly...but is it really $250 better than the Kilo TT? I know a lot of these 'cheaper' frames are mass produced in Taiwan and other places, so that leads me to wonder if the Surly's price is because of better quality, or just because the Surly name is slapped on it....thoughts? suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

Its not $250 better but it does seem like a more rugged bike. Its meant to take bigger tires/fenders and that sort of stuff.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

Can't the kilo take pretty wide tires also?
    In short, you're paying for the name.

They are different frames though. The Surly will accept much wider tires than the Kilo, but the Kilo (if I remember correctly) has more aggressive geometry. If I were in the market for a wide tire fixed frame, I'd go with a Motobecane Jury or a Kilo WT over the Steamroller simply because the Steamroller isn't really any better than either of them except in parts, and definitely not $250+ better. Those frames also offer more color options. If you just want a fixed frame and don't care about wide tires, get a Kilo or an IRO. Both wonderful options.
    Posted By: wes m.Its not $250 better but it does seem like a more rugged bike. Its meant to take bigger tires/fenders and that sort of stuff.

Yet again, dammit! I'm certain you keep things short just to beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited

Yeah pretty much. I look over at the who's on the forum thingy, notice you are here, wait for a thread with a simple question to pop up, wait until you have probably read it, then post the shortest answer possible. Its been working well for me.
    Posted By: wes m.Its been working well for me.

Seriously, QFT.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsIn short, you're paying for the name.

the Kilo (if I remember correctly) has more aggressive geometry.

yes, it is definitely more aggressive. i just picked one up this weekend (250 bucks, practically brand new and the size i wanted) and it is fun as hell. i've ridden the steamroller and the pista and despite the kilo being a bit heavier, it's just more fun.
    Yeah, I would recommend the Kilo as well. I would really like to see some one build up one of those chromed ones nicely.

If you're really want something in the price range of the Steamroller and a little flashier that the Kilo, the Soma Rush is an excellent option.
    • CommentAuthormellowdaizy

thanks for the feed back guys. i had a feeling the name was influencing the Steamroller price. i've heard nothing but solid remarks about the Kilo (besides the common complaint that errybody has one, but obviously because for what it is, you cant beat the price) so thats what ill probably get, and with the extra money ill be saving by not buying the Steamroller, ill upgrade components. that way in the future when i can afford a nice frame, ill already have higher quality components to just switch over. word.
    • CommentAuthorcjpark86

Killo TT for the win! :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.