velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorFixed
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

I have had a couple fixed gear bikes in the past, but abandoned them because I prefer flat bars. Otherwise The schwinn madison I own feels like a piece of garbage (perhaps I am spoiled by the kilo tt khs frame I rode briefly before getting the scwhinn) I would rather buy a stock flat bar bike and have narrowed done to the following:

Most pricey to cheapest

Bianchi Pista Flat Bar (do they even make this anymore? can i find it in a local bike shop?)
    Bianchi San Jose Flat Bar
    IRO WTF/ Mark V Flat Bar (only if I can find one locally)
    KHS Urban Soul
    Torker U District

I live in new york city, so as much as I want the best bike, I don't want it stolen. I have 2 decent locks and one ghetto cable lock. I don't often see high end bikes locked up though. My two main concerns are comfort (plan on doing 20 miles+ daily) and weight.
    I'm confused. You just bought the Madison, yeah? Why not just buy a flat bar, a brake lever or two, and some grips? Hell, you might be able to straight up trade the stock bar/lever setup from the Madison for a flat bar setup. If all you want is a flat bar, you're wasting a ton of money throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What makes you think that you will like the feel of any of those other frames more? Lastly, if you liked the Kilo so much, why not just buy one and put a flat bar on it?
    • CommentAuthorFixed
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsI'm confused. You just bought the Madison, yeah? Why not just buy a flat bar, a brake lever or two, and some grips? Hell, you might be able to straight up trade the stock bar/lever setup from the Madison for a flat bar setup. If all you want is a flat bar, you're wasting a ton of money throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What makes you think that you will like the feel of any of those other frames more? Lastly, if you liked the Kilo so much, why not just buy one and put a flat bar on it?

Well I would botch the job, when it comes to the brakes. Between the parts and the install it would cost the same as what I would loose selling it. Then its value would be lower and the brakes would be modified for the different levers I suppose. Besides I hate the madison, it just feels very cheap, and rides very rough. Not interested in the kilo over the bikes I mentioned.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Oh jeez. Wow.

This one's all yours, sd.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r

Posted By: Fixed Well I would botch the job, when it comes to the brakes. Between the parts and the install it would cost the same as what I would loose selling it. Then its value would be lower and the brakes would be modified for the different levers I suppose. Besides I hate the madison, it just feels very cheap, and rides very rough. Not interested in the kilo over the bikes I mentioned.

I don't think I can help you solve this mess, but let me at least try and understand what you are saying. In short: you want to buy an entirely new bike to get different handlebars?

If that is so, I would say it is similar to becoming a Buddhist and leading a good life with the hope of being reincarnated exactly as you are but with green eyes instead of blue.

Am I close?
    Hahahahaha.

I don't really like the tubes in my tires right now, so I think I will just go out and buy a whole new wheel set and hope that I like the tubes in those.

Something like a Madison, and a IRO or Bianchi San Jose, etc....are ALL going to be about the same. They are all build up as low-mid range single speed bikes with comparable parts across the board. Whatever is making your bike "feel cheap", I think you need to address. Maybe it's just cheap in your head? Maybe you need to just upgrade some parts on your bike and that would make it feel less cheap, as you say.

*sigh* I think this might be hopeless.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Dude, flat bars and a brake lever are going to cost you from $5-$30 depending on their newness. There is a maximum of 8 bolts that you would have to unscrew (4 on the stem, 1 for each lever and 1 for each brake (if you have 2 brakes)) to make this swap. I really dont understand how you could f this up.

Also, none of those bikes are significantly better than your madison.
    You're welcome to do whatever the hell you want. It doesn't seem like you have enough experience wrenching to qualify any of the statements you have made, and I think we've all said what needs to be said regarding your choices.

God knows what you paid for the Madison (hopefully not more than $400), but the Madison is just fine. If you don't like it for some reason, you really should test ride whatever bike you're planning on buying before you buy another low end steel bike. Otherwise it's likely going to be the same story all over again.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Let me try. I think we need to define our terms:

Posted By: FixedBesides I hate the madison, it just feels very cheap, and rides very rough.

What do you mean by "cheap"? What do you mean by "rough"? Can you be more specific about the dislike you have for your current bike? It may be something that can be resolved at much lower cost/effort than replacing the bike with an equivalent alternate.

I fully understand the idea that this particular bike may just have bad juju for you, and that your head will be happier when it's gone. But let's try to see whether there's something less extreme that can be done to improve your situation first.
    I had a Madison and it was a pretty solid frame and felt no difference between ride quality besides the geometry between my IRO Mercier and Pista all the bikes I have owned I can say at least works.
    Posted By: eaglerockLet me try.

I love you, man.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: eaglerockLet me try.

I love you, man.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Seriously, fifteen years of talking to people who shout, "My computer doesn't work! It's a piece of junk!" teaches you that you have to use the Socratic method to get to the root of the blackberry bush.
    • CommentAuthorFixed

I could care less about peoples personal comments about the madison. There is a clear topic here, and there is no reason to debate on and on about this bike. I own it, its clunky, rough, and some of the parts on it make bikes direct look look like buckingham palace. I don't care about any elitist opinions like "lol none of what you listed are better than the madison" I know little about specific bike parts, but based on weight, design, etc I know that at least half of the bikes I listed pass the madison by miles. FYI every bike under $1000 is made in asia, which I have a feeling most of you are basing this "all the same quality " on. You can sit here all day trying to convince yourself that your "brand x" fake merciers and madison are as good as a bianchi, masi, etc. I am asking what is the best choice of the above listed bikes based on comfort, and practicality for daily city use. $5-30 is no where near what its going to cost to get this bike all setup with a flat bar, I am living in a city where it costs $18 to install a cog, and parts are all at MSRP. Even then I would have altered the bike, hurting its resale vaule/speed. I would be stuck with a bike I am not happy with. Heres the kicker, the bike is to big for me. Thanks to schwinns ingenious sizing system the "small" size which reads "5'3 to 5'6" does not fit me and I am almost 5'4. This bike runs huge, even if I was 5'6 I would barely clear the sack crushing top tube. and add that in with the low quality of the parts and basically its like the equivalent of a 1978 recaleld toyoda. Anywway I know I am not going to get a decent response of you elitists and starving hipsters so I am just going to donate the bike charity and get a vespa. See you in the dust vegans.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r

Posted By: FixedI could care less about peoples personal comments about the madison. There is a clear topic here, and there is no reason to debate on and on about this bike. I own it, its clunky, rough, and some of the parts on it make bikes direct look look like buckingham palace. I don't care about any elitist opinions like "lol none of what you listed are better than the madison" I know little about specific bike parts, but based on weight, design, etc I know that at least half of the bikes I listed pass the madison by miles. FYI every bike under $1000 is made in asia, which I have a feeling most of you are basing this "all the same quality " on. You can sit here all day trying to convince yourself that your "brand x" fake merciers and madison are as good as a bianchi, masi, etc. I am asking what is the best choice of the above listed bikes based on comfort, and practicality for daily city use. $5-30 is no where near what its going to cost to get this bike all setup with a flat bar, I am living in a city where it costs $18 to install a cog, and parts are all at MSRP. Even then I would have altered the bike, hurting its resale vaule/speed. I would be stuck with a bike I am not happy with. Heres the kicker, the bike is to big for me. Thanks to schwinns ingenious sizing system the "small" size which reads "5'3 to 5'6" does not fit me and I am almost 5'4. This bike runs huge, even if I was 5'6 I would barely clear the sack crushing top tube. and add that in with the low quality of the parts and basically its like the equivalent of a 1978 recaleld toyoda. Anywway I know I am not going to get a decent response of you elitists and starving hipsters so I am just going to donate the bike charity and get a vespa. See you in the dust vegans.

I still say Buddhism is your best bet here.
    Posted By: FixedI could care less about peoples personal comments about the madison. There is a clear topic here, and there is no reason to debate on and on about this bike. I own it, its clunky, rough, and some of the parts on it make bikes direct look look like buckingham palace. I don't care about any elitist opinions like "lol none of what you listed are better than the madison" I know little about specific bike parts, but based on weight, design, etc I know that at least half of the bikes I listed pass the madison by miles. FYI every bike under $1000 is made in asia, which I have a feeling most of you are basing this "all the same quality " on. You can sit here all day trying to convince yourself that your "brand x" fake merciers and madison are as good as a bianchi, masi, etc. I am asking what is the best choice of the above listed bikes based on comfort, and practicality for daily city use. $5-30 is no where near what its going to cost to get this bike all setup with a flat bar, I am living in a city where it costs $18 to install a cog, and parts are all at MSRP. Even then I would have altered the bike, hurting its resale vaule/speed. I would be stuck with a bike I am not happy with. Heres the kicker, the bike is to big for me. Thanks to schwinns ingenious sizing system the "small" size which reads "5'3 to 5'6" does not fit me and I am almost 5'4. This bike runs huge, even if I was 5'6 I would barely clear the sack crushing top tube. and add that in with the low quality of the parts and basically its like the equivalent of a 1978 recaleld toyoda. Anywway I know I am not going to get a decent response of you elitists and starving hipsters so I am just going to donate the bike charity and get a vespa. See you in the dust vegans.

Wow. Seriously. That is all I have to say....wow.

Farewell.

Posted By: Fixed went with a small madison online, after trying it in local shop. Really not to bad for me.

Posted By: Fixedthe "small" size which reads "5'3 to 5'6" does not fit me and I am almost 5'4.

You said you tried it in a shop before buying it. You would have seen it was too big if you actually did that. And if the bike says someone 5'3"-5'6"...and you're quote "almost 5'4" " That would mean you're 5'3" or less, and must just have short lil' legs. So, the bike fits as it should, you're just an ignorant, foolish person, simple as that.
    Posted By: FixedSee you in the dust vegans.

Awww, he did a shout out to Ian and I.
    i can ride my bike with no handlebars...
    • CommentAuthorpilehead

w000oooofffff

Rough translation: I pulled a completely dick move by trying out a bike at a brick and mortar shop and then buying it online only to find out after the fact that it isn't regarded as the "it" bike by my Williamsburg peers. The Bianchi and Masi, despite being also made in Taiwan, are much cooler than my lowly Madison. It may even be stated that these bicycles are "on deck". They also sport shiny components that I probably could have also ordered my Madison if I had done a whit of research before pulling out the credit card. Worst of all, in addition to my Napoleon complex this bike is making my testicles hurt! Now I won't be able to fetch anything near the price I paid for this thing even with the decals peeled off to render it practically indistinguishable from the plethora of welded steel urban single speed frames sold in the past five years. Anyway, I'm going to just buy a scooter instead because I wasn't really all that interested in cycling to begin with. I've heard that like fat girls they are fun to ride, though I hope that the aforementioned peer group never sees me on one. Now to make like a tree and get the fuck out of here...bye, suckers!
    • CommentAuthorJohnny B

Bro you need a njs frame. All other frames won't be worthy of your flat bars.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.