velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I was stripping down this bike today, and forgot to take the pedals off before taking the crank arm off. Witch really normally would be no big deal. Its still easy enough to get pedals off after the arm is already off. Unfortunately i misplaced my pedal wrench, so I just decided to use a normal 15mm wrench. I tried a few different ways to regain the leverage I lost by using a short wrench vs the normal long pedal wrench and found that if I just used my body as a backstop for the crank and pulled the wrench in towards me it worked fine. So I did that with the non drive side crank with no problems, but when I came to the drive side crank I was having some issues. Rather than wait and look around for the proper tool, I kept at it, pulling harder each time. FINALLY the pedal came loose, and my hand/wrist came trusting towards myself, directly hitting the nice sharp teeth of the chain ring resulting in blood and cussing.

In retrospect, that could have gone better in so manny different ways.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010

I was doing the exact same thing with the pedals and the cranks, except you are apparently stronger then me, because I just gave up on the pedal and watched 30 Rock.

Recently, while attempting to reattach the quick-release side of some old and shitty cantilever brakes, I actually ripped the metal blob off of the cable and, in an odd series of lightning quick events, gashed my hand on the front derailleur.

Side note(in reference to paragraph one): Tomorrow, my ride to work includes one 175mm crank, and one 165mm cranks. We have penetrating oil and pedal wrenches, and soon, my commuter track monster will have a nice set of Deore LX cranks because they were free and I needed new(used) cranks. The chainline is perfect.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Wow, and the only defacing injury I inflicted on myself all day was to chop off half my thumbnail with a sloppy move on a cheese grater. I haven't taken the Band-Aid (+duct tape FTW!) off yet to see how bad the mess is.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

damn eaglerock best of wishes, that is pretty gruesome :(
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Well, it was my thumbnail, not my thumb; so there's probably exposed meat, but no permanent damage. The chopped chunk is still attached, so I'm going to keep it loosely covered until the meat underneath starts to pull away from the nail fragment - then I'll cut it off and the nail will grow back.

Sure does make me feel stupid and clumsy, though.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.