velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_537_538_540_650&products_id=3167&zenid=1633dc4de892c1b333b2e214de416641

I was just wondering what you guys think about these rings for riding fixed gear and I wanted to get their 50t
    so any help on this product before I buy would be great

or are they no better than Sugino Standard?

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_537_538_540_649&products_id=4477&zenid=1633dc4de892c1b333b2e214de416641

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

I've never ridden T.A.'s track-specific rings, but have several sets of road rings and have been happy with them. Really hard alloy compound, very long lasting -- three years and counting, and that's with a lot of mileage.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Plus, TA makes odd-tooth rings in 130/135/144 BCD, which I'd guess makes it easier to fine-tune your gearing. They have a PDF listing all currently manufactured rings; the track rings are available in a tooth counts from 44 to 52, in all three BCDs.
    Thanks!
    I was wondering how much rounder are they compared to Sugino Standard chainring and they are more expensive so I guess they would be better?because I have 48t Sugino Standard and are alright but still have a good amount of slack and tightness every rotation, so anyone know about the TA rings?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: bensonisajewI was wondering how much rounder are they compared to Sugino Standard chainring and they are more expensive so I guess they would be better?

In theory, every chainring except Biopace is supposed to be perfectly round, whether it's cast or machined. There are manufacturing variations, to be sure; but a company that produces consistently not-round chainrings is a company that's likely to have angry customers showing up at the factory with pitchforks and pump shotguns.

Not to belabor the obvious, but I can think of a few other possible causes of the symptoms you describe:

1) Insufficiently tight chainring bolts
    2) Insufficiently tight drive-side crankbolt
    3) insufficiently tightened bottom bracket
    4) Insufficiently tight pedals

With any of these, a little variation could cause uneven chain travel as the crank rotates. Are you 100% sure on all these? Has a reasonably trustworthy shop wrench looked at them and said "These are all fine; your chainring's not round enough"?
    There was a dude on here like six months ago who apparently bought a TA track chainring which was out of round or out of true or something. I was never sure whether it was just fucked because he brought it with him on a plane from San Diego to Boston (or something, I don't remember) and it got trashed by the baggage handlers or if indeed it was fucked from the beginning. Anyway, I'm sure you can search the forums for the post if you're so inclined.

I think assuming that something being more expensive equates to it being better is a slippery slope, especially when it comes to something where there is very little variation in quality*, like chainrings.

*yeah yeah yeah yeah, I know.
    I recently had my BB overhauled from the winter riding and regreased everything down there and the shop I go to has a great mechanic and cranked everything down to spec, my chain ring bolts are tight, my pedals are tight.
    My LBS says that chainrings are round but lets compare Sugino standard chainring to a Zen ring now I know there would be a difference in its roundness, unless im wrong.
    But I think the TA ring would be better than the Sugino Standard
    • CommentAuthormpeeler

I used them for 2 years at the velodrome on a Ultegra octalink crankset and they were stiff and worked fine for me.
    Posted By: bensonisajewI recently had my BB overhauled from the winter riding and regreased everything down there and the shop I go to has a great mechanic and cranked everything down to spec, my chain ring bolts are tight, my pedals are tight.
    My LBS says that chainrings are round but lets compare Sugino standard chainring to a Zen ring now I know there would be a difference in its roundness, unless im wrong.

Your chain might be stretched in various spots which could also cause your slack hotspots.
    When I got my IRO my whole drive chain was new
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited

Posted By: brooklynbombs
    Posted By: bensonisajew...My LBS says that chainrings are round but lets compare Sugino standard chainring to a Zen ring now I know there would be a difference in its roundness, unless im wrong.

Your chain might be stretched in various spots which could also cause your slack hotspots.

Also, what's the likelyhood of your bb spindle being bent? I think that's what my problem is on my basket bike right now. I haven't spent more than 5 minutes looking at it but so far that's what it looks like...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: bensonisajewWhen I got my IRO my whole drive chain was new

Sure, but how many miles have you put on it since? And how many of those miles have been mash-miles?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

I had a 49t TA chainring in 144bcd. It worked.
    Posted By: the rabbiIt worked.

Best two word review ever.
    Posted By: the rabbig that something being more expensive equates to it being better is a slippery slope, especially when it comes to something where there is very lit

Im convinced hahaha

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: bensonisajewWhen I got my IRO my whole drive chain was new

Sure, but how many miles have you put on it since? And how many of those miles have been mash-miles?

Oh I dont know Ive put many miles ever since I bought it but the day I got it I went home to adjust my chain tension, it was like that
    Posted By: suicide_doorsI think assuming that something being more expensive equates to it being better is a slippery slope, especially when it comes to something where there is very little variation in quality*, like chainrings.

I hope so :]
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

Could be the ring not being centered on the spider.
    Thats what I thought at first and made sure and made adjustments it but I still get that slight slack and tightness

another question: would a 50 or 52 ring even fit on my Mark V? My current 48t is really close to the chainstay
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

Let me answer that question with another question... Why do you want to go that big?
    Since its nice out and spring is here, I wanted to go to my track more :]

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.