velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Looking at getting a new lock. Any suggestions. Thanks
    I've been using a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock for a few years now. I remember reading an article on Salon.com Slate about breaking modern locks, and that it was the best lock they could find. I don't know if that is true, but no one has messed with it or my bikes since I've had it.

[edit] I think there have been some other lock discussions on here in the past, you would do well to use the forum search.

Also, here's the article: http://www.slate.com/id/2140083
    How big do you want the lock?
    if you want small you can get a On Guard or a Kryptonite Mini U-lock
    or bigger U-locks you can get the Kryptonite NYC Chain that is pretty much unbreakable

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1100

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1169

I use the Kryptonite Mini U-lock and it works great
    Previous lock threads:
    http://velospace.org/forums/discussion/24/1/what-do-you-lock-your-bike-with/
    http://velospace.org/forums/discussion/325/kryptonite-mini-u-vs-onguard-bulldog-mini-u/

I also see that they've stopped using the NYC Fugg brand. Probably a good idea. Wait, no they haven't. Shut up.

I should also mention that I live in Eugene, OR, which, despite being a city of 160,000, is routinely one of the top cities for bike theft in the nation.
    I love my OnGuard Bulldog Mini. Some scoff at it but it gets decent reviews and I don't exactly live in a high-crime area. Coupled with a cable looped through both wheels, it does the job (and is most likely overkill for where I live).
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010

I was actually going to suggest...

I have a larger "on guard pitbull" U lock than the one suicide_ mentions, but I am assuming his is nicer because it costs 3 times as much (what can I say, I am an economist, people are rational, and bla bla bla) but I have seen some nice bikes around with only these U locks and I wanted to make a suggestion. Right now in Mexico City there is no chance in hell I lock my bike up outside for more than 5 mins because people walk around with hex keys of every size and chilangos are very thrifty anyway, so I know it would be gone in a minute. I have the benefit be able to lock it up in an indoor parking lot, but that is beside the point. When I lived in DC and went to GWU, the 4 years I was there, there were a shitload of bike robberies in the middle of the day in foggy bottom, and so I bought that U lock and a kryptonite cable lock, and would lock my bike up in such a way that no wheels could be removed (nor the frame, obviously). I see most people just lock the bike by the top tube (is this what top tube protectors are for??? Or for the huevos?), and I remember a post a while back where a bunch or wheelset were stolen outside of a bar in hipsterville USA.

Anyway, my suggestion is that you get both a U lock AND a cable lock. You put the U lock through the downtube and the front wheel and loop the cable lock through the back wheel, and attach this to the U lock. You will be safer than a Zeta in Michoacan. Booyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Jesus you people type fast. I need to think and do a spell check and everything and by the time im ready to add my comments, there are like 5 posts ahead of mine. I even searched google to make sure I had the right U lock name
    Kryptonite Mini U-lock.

Get a cable for your wheels if locked up for any longer period of time.

This lock can fit in your back pocket, and if needed, you can always wrap a cable around your waste.

The lock is big enough to lock to a street sign, and get thru my frame and front wheel.
    Posted By: terrible_one49Kryptonite Mini U-lock.

Get a cable for your wheels if locked up for any longer period of time.

This lock can fit in your back pocket, and if needed, you can always wrap a cable around your waste.

The lock is big enough to lock to a street sign, and get thru my frame and front wheel.

with the wheels I have I am limited with locking options with my front wheel with the mini U-lock
    • CommentAuthorScrodzilla
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited

You should be locking through your back wheel anyway.

Posted By: suicide_doorsI've been using a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock for a few years now. I remember reading an article onSalon.comSlate about breaking modern locks, and that it was the best lock they could find. I don't know if that is true, but no one has messed with it or my bikes since I've had it.

[edit] I think there have been some other lock discussions on here in the past, you would do well to use the forum search.

Also, here's the article:http://www.slate.com/id/2140083
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

yes scrodzilla thank you. A long time ago someone told me the back wheel was more difficult to replace, and so you should always lock with U lock from the back. I didnt know why then, but then again I didnt know anything about bikes either.
    Not only is the back wheel more expensive to replace but by locking this way (u lock through rear wheel only a la Sheldon Brown), if someone should attempt to use a jack or leverage tools to break your lock, they most likely won't do as much (or any) damage to your frame in the process. I always secure my front wheel with a cable as well.
    Yes, I do this as well. Most of the time, anyway.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Kryptonite Kriptolock series 2 mini? Is it solid? Could it fit in your back pocket?
    Sorry, but nothing is going to stop someone who has a cordless angle-grinder & a gun...
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited

Posted By: stinky peteSorry, but nothing is going to stop someone who has a cordless angle-grinder & a gun...

are the gun and the angle grinder used in combination?

Bike ThiefAlmost there... almost there... come one trusty angle grinder you can get through this pesky bike loc... GOD DAMMIT! out of juice. i knew i should have brought an extra battery.
    Oh Yeah! i've got this here gun. i can shoot the rest of this lock off.

BANG! Bang!

Man, i sure am glad i remembered to bring my grinder And my gun

maybe it's more of an either/or kind of thing.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited

umm. i went to my hardware store and bought two feet the biggest/strongest gauge chain they had and a super duper one inch carbide something or other masterlock. once i got everything home i painstakingly sleeved every link save three. photos manana.

edit: photos

a penny for scale

kinda hurts my eyes, but you get the point.
    chains are legit, but i don't feel like carrying one around. i don't even like bringing a bag around with me. just strap my u-lock through my belt loop and jam.
    Posted By: bensonisajewHow big do you want the lock?
    if you want small you can get a On Guard or a Kryptonite Mini U-lock
    or bigger U-locks you can get the Kryptonite NYC Chain that is pretty much unbreakable

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1100

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1169

I use the Kryptonite Mini U-lock and it works great

I once ordered the krypto ny chain for cheap, when it arrived I was shocked about how large the lock is and how heavy the chai nis. Truly seems unbreakable.
    If you live in a high crime area and/or have to leave your (expensive) bike unattended quite often, this is the right lock.

I also use the krypto mini, it got some decent reviews and the size fits perfect. You can store it in every bag or your back pocket and it doesn't weight too much.
    Also I have a safe place to store my bike at work and take it in my appartement over night.
    typeDvorak,

Per a locksmith I asked some time back (10+ years) Master padlocks are absolute garbage. He said they're ridiculously easy to pick. I further asked him what kind of padlock he'd recommend, he said his 1st recommendation is Schlage, and 2nd is American. Dunno how relevant that still is, but I'd be willing to bed that nothing much has changed.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

There is a kid on youtube who picks masterlocks almost instantly. Its mind blowing.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited

Posted By: ScrodzillaYou should be locking through your back wheel anyway.

hello 2006 bfssfg

the sheldon method only is worthwhile if you live in a nice community devoid of crackheads. if you live in a place with plenty of thievery, I recommend trying to lock with the seat tube as well. too many crackheads will see only a rear wheel locked and attempt what appears to be an easy theft...damaging your ride in the process.

more stuff inside the lock, less room for a leverage attack.

of course, this may be impossible with stupid deep wheels...or stupid wide racks/parking meters.
    It occurs to me that locking through the back wheel and chain is surprisingly thorough.
    • CommentAuthorWilburito
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

Posted By: ScrodzillaYou should be locking through your back wheel anyway.

I don't think I would bother locking that bike.
    My lock method: Mini krypto U-lock around the seat tube, kriptonite cable choked around front wheel, looped through the rear, with the looped end back through the u-lock.
    • CommentAuthoryoyoyohey
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010

u lock and a chain!
    i was using an on guard mini pitbull u-lock for the last 8-10 months. the bar containing the locking mechanism is so heavy and fat that it's very easy to drop. i dropped it for probably, oh, the 4th or 5th time the other night and it busted (right after reading this thread, damn it). literally, you could pull the mechanism apart. i realize that bike locks are not made for repeatedly dropping on hard concrete but they're like cell phones- no matter what, you're still going to drop them.

soooooo, in part due to recommendations on this thread, i ordered a kryptonite evolution mini. it costs 15 bucks more than the pitbull ($40 vs $25). i'm not going to run out and do a drop test but i hope this one lasts a bit longer.
    • CommentAuthorSCI
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

my company (www.stantonconcepts.us) is in the business of coming up with innovative security solutions. As a result of some other work we were doing we came up with what may be a novel and better bike lock. It uses high strength, high flexibility titanium, it’s not easy to cut, it’s very easy to store, it’s very light, it can secure and be secured to a wide variety of objects and the owner can choose his own padlock. If it’s OK with the moderator I would love to present the concept and solicit critiques from the forum.
    Light weight lock thats versatile is always a good thing. Titanium locking mechanism would be sweet.....
    SCI, write to Greg right quick or you're gonna get spamblocked, immediately after being spammocked.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Anyone here have an angle grinder? Maybe SCI can send a prototype titanium lock to someone on the forums who will promise to do his best trying to defeat the lock, and videotaping everything, for our entertainment.

Otherwise, send me an email about marketing on the site.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I'm more than willing to murder this lock on tape. I've got tools, it shouldn't take long. I would be truly amazed there were any practical lock that couldnt be defeated in under a minute or two with tools available at home depot.
    I have yet to find anything the right amount of C-4 or thermite can’t fix...
    I do, indeed, have an angle grinder. I'd be happy to accept a lock or two and videotape the process. If I can't do it with reasonable theft tools, then I'll probably want one to use, too, so send two!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

SCI, where art thou?
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

I got a message from John at SCI. He may engage you guys for your input, however no shilling will be tolerated per the rules. Maybe you all can convince him to send a lock for destructive testing
    Cool. I'll await a PM.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

I just realized last weekend that I locked my bike up at a swap meet where you can pretty much buy any power tool you need for less than 50 bucks. There was also a power outlet right next to the rack.
    Ha ha!
    • CommentAuthorSCI

What we've concieved is a lock system that uses a 1/4" titanium shackle which is nominally 24" long and is "U" shaped. The shackle along with a simple "locking plate" form a loop when a padlock is secured. The titanium is very flexible and can be "bowed" around a 5" post or other object. The shackle can be lashed to the top tube with two vecro straps when not in use. The owner can select a padlock that best suits their needs. Like any material titanium can be cut with the proper tools, but not that easily. We think the concept may be attractive for the commuter or recreational rider who prefers light weight, stowability and versitility over extreme cut resistance required for a high threat environment. It may or may not be a $100 solution to a $10 problem, if it does appear to have market potential we would try to license it or perhaps manufacture the product ourselves. Any comments, especially constructive ones, are really appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I'm not metallurgist but I'm pretty sure that titanium is softer than the hardened steel in the average u-lock. And as far as the flexibility, is metal fatigue going to be an issue? I guess it depends on how much you are flexing the shackle.

Your idea does have one good thing going for it, its titanium. That pretty much guarantees entry into the fred market.

If the goal is a light and flashy shackle thats not designed to protect against serious theft risks then I suppose its a good idea. Dentists can use it to lock up at the coffee shop in rich neighborhoods after their Saturday morning cruise.

Personally, if I'm paying a lot for a lock my primary concern is how well it protects my bike. It sounds like there is a market for this but Im not a member of it.
    • CommentAuthorSCI

Our concept would use Titanium Grade 5. It's properties versus 4140 hardened tool steel:
    Hardness: Ti = Rockwell C33, tool steel = Rockwell C20-C34
    Yield Strength; Ti = 120 KSI, tool steel =130 KSI

Titanium GR5 is as least as strong and hard as a padlock shackle of the same diameter but is considerably lighter and more flexible, also more expensive. 1/4" titanium can be cut with 24" bolt cutter but with considerable effort. Good question about the fatigue but should not be factor as the amount of relative bending is not excessive and the elastic properties of grade 5 Titanium are excellent.
    • CommentAuthortinj

I have a Trek Streetwise, it is made by Kryptonite and it came with a transportation bracket if you're into that, seems to be working pretty well around campus and it has a soft rubber coating that prevents major paint scratching. I am pretty sure it is less expensive than the same lock branded Kryptonite, its definitely worth taking a look at.
    I'd love to see a picture of the prototype. I'm having a hard time envisioning it from the description.
    • CommentAuthorSCI
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010

here's a link with some photos... http://www.stantonconcepts.us/bike%20lock.html from this page you can navigate to a preliminary data sheet and an image gallery with additional photos.
    I see a lot of clever in there.

How much longer would it have to be to get both wheels? I imagine you could just connect two, but I also imagine it would be pricey to produce.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

I see that you're using a standard-ish commercial keyed padlock. Is the titanium bracket shaped to fit a particular model of padlock, or will it fit anything? If it's model-specific, do you plan to bundle the padlock with the titanium bracket?

I too see a lot of clever, especially in weight savings. I'm thinking of converting my U-lock+cable setup to two U-locks (front wheel locked to frame, rear wheel+frame locked to immovable object), and your arrangement would obviously be a lot lighter, even with two locks. My concern is the psychology of thieves. Although the lock may be secure in itself, it doesn't have the beefy overkill look that discourages thieves from messing with it - which is three-quarters of the battle.
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI see a lot of clever in there.

How much longer would it have to be to get both wheels? I imagine you could just connect two, but I also imagine it would be pricey to produce.

I agree; it's pretty impressive. I don't know how you'd be able to get both wheels while still being able to loop through the frame though.

A few random suggestions... Tether the rectangular clasp thingamajig to the rest of the lock somehow. I can see that being the first piece to get lost. Also, radius the squared ends of the lock to prevent accidentally scratching the frame.

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.