velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Currently, I am attending the California Maritime Academy where I am studying to be a merchant seaman. As part of my training and to earn professional sea time, I must sail on my school's training ship for sixty days this summer. I plan on bringing my bike so that I can do some riding in foreign ports.

During that time, we will be stopping at various places in Asia including:

Guam
    Saipan
    Busan, Korea
    Kobe, Japan

I was wondering if anyone had any experience cycling in these various places, and would be willing to share there experience or any other valuable information pertaining to cycling in these ports. Thanks in advance!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010

Take photos, let us know how it goes, and get me some beef!
    I'm vegan :)
    • CommentAuthorgreg

When in Kobe
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

go hang out with tomity
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

i lived in kobe for 3 months. i rode bmx the whole time.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

Yeah, 20 years Navy myself.
    My bikes were with me almost all the time. I've cycled all over the world. Close to where you're going; Pusan and Seoul. Singapore is fantastic as is Australia, Turkey you really have to watch the trucks, they don't care if you are there or not as in Korea on the open roads. Cities are cities, you have to watch your 6. Merchantman's great though. You'll have a great chance to see some great places if you get away from the port and the high traffic (people) areas. Even of the worst places I've been I will tell you that you can't know a place by reading or surfing the i'net. You have to experience them and cycling is the greatest way to do that. I just loaded up the panniers and took off when we went into port and they didn't see me again until duty day or muster the day we pulled out. Do get a hold of a good solid touring (triple) bike with racks and panniers, triple bottle cages because you always want to have good water with you and you'll be set to go. Don't forget to keep a small stash of water purification tablets on the bike, and also keep a small stash of power bars etc, because sometimes you may not want to experience the food.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

BTW, I've only sailed past Guam, but have it on good authority that it's pretty nice. Pretty docile too, there's a large american naval presence there.
    Yeah! I was on a commercial ship this summer contracted out by the navy to bring all of their supplies from Hiroshima to Guam, and I rode there some. The Navy guys there had a pretty good rapport with the natives, except when it came to Friday's and Saturday's at the bar.

Thanks again, I will make sure to keep all of that in mind.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.