velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I recently purchased a 1989 Trek 1000 with downtoube shifters. i would love to have Sti shifters which brings me to my question. How can i convert my downtube shifters to STI shifters. here are some pictures of the bike.

PIC 1
    PIC 2
    PIC 3
    PIC 4
    PIC 5

THANKS !
    You'll have to replace your rear derailleur, maybe your cassette/freewheel, plus your shifters and brake levers, and add some cable bosses. It's a big, unnecessary job. Accushift parts don't mix terribly well with Shimano, and not at all with the STI index settings. The closest thing that Suntour made was the Command shifter:

You could also use Suntour barcons or maybe some stem mount shifters. If you decide to go with friction, any friction shifters will work. STIs obviously don't have a friction mode.

If you were going to do all this replacing, you may be able to sell the entire Suntour Edge grouppo for some money. Those parts are not always easy to find, especially all together. Keep in mind you would be swapping out the majority of the parts on the bike, so only do it if you really really really need to have STI shifting.
    sUICIDE_DOORS:

i dont really think i need it need it. i just like the fact that i wouldnt have to reach down to shift. you think its worth it? i would take your advice and sell off the whole group. how much do they go for nowadays ? and how much for the parts in order to get STI going ? thanks !
    Posted By: eddie_el_nenei just like the fact that i wouldnt have to reach down to shift. you think its worth it?

I agree that STIs are nice to have, but you're going to be putting in a lot of work and spending some money (STI levers, even low end ones, are really spendy) to replace something which you could just as easily get used to using the way it is.

how much do they go for nowadays ? and how much for the parts in order to get STI going ?

I don't know, probably not enough to cover the stuff you would be buying to replace them, but ???? You can certainly look for the parts by using eBay's completed listings tool. As far as the parts you would need to buy go, assuming you're going to sell the entire gruppo, you're probably looking at $150-$200 easy (and I mean easy, expect more), not including installation.
    i dont think i want to spend that much on a bike i might not use that often. i use this for longer rides on weekends. i appreciate the help though. thanks for everything. ill probably just get use to it. THANKS !
    No problem. By the way, it's very nice looking for a 17 year old bike.
    the serial number is 372003. according to the Trek vintage site its from 1989 :D . the guy told me he thought it was a 1993. i got it for $200. i saw and fell in love. thanks :D
    Ah, 22 year old bike, then.
    lol. sorry. i was on the site and found out. Thanks for all your help ! can i bother you just one more time. im sorry if i make you work a little but could you possibly give me a link of everything i need. like the cassette, derailleur and shifters ? im really crazy sometimes and decide to go and throw money on a bike. lol. thank you !
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009

Brifters are aesthetically bankrupt.

Learn to reach down and grab a gear, it's not that difficult.
    Posted By: SkidMarkBrifters are aesthetically bankrupt.

Learn to reach down and grab a gear, it's not that difficult.

i know how to reach. i just like the idea of STI shifters. Thanks for your input though :D
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009

Ever thought about bar-end shifters? If you have a freewheel in back, you can swap it out for a Shimano Ultraglide one -- it's a massive upgrade from an old-school set of cogs -- and find seven-speed (if I'm counting right) set of Shimano indexed bar-end shifters on eBay. I got a set for 30-something, they work and look great.
    i actually have some Suntour Command Shifters on watch on eBay. It says 7-speed index and i have 7 speeds so it should work perfectly. Thanks suicide_door for this option. Hopefully i win them. thanks
    Posted By: latronfind seven-speed (if I'm counting right) set of Shimano indexed bar-end shifters on eBay

I'm pretty certain that Shimano's indexing will not work with the Accushift derailleur, but Suntour's barcons will. I could be wrong, but Suntour used funny cog spacing.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

Posted By: suicide_doorsSuntour used funny cog spacing

You're right. I'd forgotten about the derailleur part of the equation, but most Shimano bar-end shifters can do friction or indexed. A friend's bike is running a wild combination of parts, and friction barcons bring it all together.
    There are few problems that can't be solved with barcons.
    you could also get the rivendell bar end pods and convert your existing downtube shifters to barcons
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited

All that bike needs is new tires and cork tape. And please take off the pie plate.

If you insist on uglifying the bike with brifters, put all those Suntour components together and sell them as a group to someone who is looking for them to rebuild another Trek 1000 that someone converted into a "fixie".

The only way to do it right is to replace the entire drivetain including the rear hub, because you'll need a cluster with cog spacing that works with the brifters.
    Posted By: SkidMarkAll that bike needs is new tires and cork tape. And please take off the pie plate.

If you insist on uglifying the bike with brifters, put all those Suntour components together and sell them as a group to someone who is looking for them to rebuild another Trek 1000 that someone converted into a "fixie".

The only way to do it right is to replace the entire drivetain including the rear hub, because you'll need a cluster with cog spacing that works with the brifters.

I actually decided just to leave it the way it is. I'll get used to downtube shifters. Btw, what corktape do you suggest. I bought this tape last week :( I think it's Deda. Also what is a pie plate? Is that the cup holder thingy? Thanks !
    Posted By: Dustintendoyou could also get the rivendell bar end pods and convert your existing downtube shifters to barcons

Yeah, I've used them to satisfy my barcon fetish. They're exactly what you'd hope.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.