velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So, the bottom bracket in my Peugeot is completely shot (and has been for a while, and i would really like to start riding this bike again, so it's time to deal with it.) I know I can get a new French thread bottom bracket from velo orange, but I am trying to decide if its worth spending the extra cash for a new one, or try to find a decent used BB from some old french frame. Are the VO BBs any good? Are there any other companies selling French thread BBs?
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Posted By: Steven BellAre the VO BBs any good?

I haven't tried one of their BBs, but everything else I've gotten from Velo Orange has been solid. The guy who runs it is a real freak about quality control.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

I'm assuming when you say "French thread BBs", you mean modern sealed-bearing BBs, not loose-ball stuff?

As near as I can find, the only French threaded BBs manufactured are VO and Phil Wood, who makes French thread cups (and Swiss, Raleigh, and Chater Lea cups) for their standard sealed-bearing bottom bracket. You just figure out your spindle length, buy the Phil BB, and buy the French cups to fit it to the frame.

If you're going to cobble a loose-ball BB together, any cups you find will be used. As far as I know, nobody's made French threaded frames in 25 years, so there's no stream of new replacement parts. However, you can use standard 68x(xxx) spindles with your existing cups, since the French BB shell is the same width as the British. Replacement spindles are still manufactured in Taiwan; I picked up a new one at my local bike kitchen for about $5.

Sheldon has a couple of articles covering the disassembly, installation and adjustment of loose-ball/cup-and-cone bottom brackets.
    Geez eaglerock, I don't think the Scots, Welsh, or Northern Irish would want those dreadful English threads associated with them.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsGeez eaglerock, I don't think the Scots, Welsh, or Northern Irish would want those dreadful English threads associated with them.

Unfamiliar with the term B.S.C., are we?
    No, I was just being an American.
    i ride a french bike every day and i have been through many bottom brackets over the years. it is not impossible to find NOS loose-ball cups on eBay but it is getting harder; i put in my last shimano 105 set a couple of years back and it is time to replace it but i'm tired of the auction thing. i will probably get a phil because 1) i have them on all my other bikes, b) i will never need to replace it, and iii) i can EP one so cost is not important. if cost is an issue for you, i think the velo orange is probably a good value.
    • CommentAuthortschmu20
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

I can back the velo orange BB, rock solid for the price. And 'Grand Cru' sounds cool.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

You can also buy two english BB and use the left hand side of each. They are the same threading. But, depending on how much you want to spend, that may not be the best idea. But for a daily, you don't need the best bottom bracket. Anything sealed will do.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.