velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

hey i want to commute to school on bike from now on but my mom says i cant because its too dangerous. she keeps bringing up the fact that cars dont see you all the time and that it takes them to long to slow down when its rainy or we have snow on the ground. i was wondering if you guys have knolwge of studys showing that it isnt as dangerous as she thinks.or just good points to bring up in the conversation. god i hate being 16 with a over protective non cycling mom.i will can specify a liitle more later on if you dont get what im saying but im tired and im going to bed. thanks you guys.
    Are you on a fixed gear, or road bike?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

My mom used to own a bike shop and loves the fact that I ride so much. 17 and no drivers license? fuck it, I have a bike.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

there are numerous ways around this.

something about the environment could work well. but you must be sincerely interested or it wont come out right. Tell her you are trying to do your part, maybe even start up a bike commuting club at school. I actually think thats a good idea. Use velospace as a launching pad and get people in your high school involved. I think starting people in highschool is great. At my age, it seems that given the number of transport options available (car, bus, metro, etc.), my efforts at doing my part both for the environment and reducing my consumption of petroleum and coal seem quite rational. This may not be the case because you may have parents that are skeptical about you going on public transport as well. How do you normally get to school? If they give you a ride, tell them about the benefits of not having to take you (gas money, time, etc.). I think that there are so many reason to ride a bike its hard to go wrong -health, time, practicality, etc.

I dont think many studies are out there with these kinds of things.

I am assuming that is springfield, in the illest-noise. That is quite a tranquil city if I remember well from my 8th grade trip to the capital. Tell your mom that you could be riding in chicago. or even tell her you once spoke to someone who is crazy enough to ride in mexico city and has only been run over once (so far). Just promise you wont ride your bike to go to parties and shit. 5 years ago my brother got real drunk and tried to ride a bike that wasnt even his home at 3am through rain and crashed his face into a curb, and lost an eyebrow and almost an eye.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

would this this help?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

man if you cite some of those numbers and ratios you will blow your mom away. Do a bibliography in chicago style and she will be on a pista concept in no time. Also, memorize this line:

"The only way to avoid all risk is to be dead already. Every activity we undertake involves risk. Refraining from all activity also involves risk. So there is no way to be alive and not take risks. My point is that cycling is not dangerous as compared to other activities that we do not designate as particularly risky, i.e. not as dangerous as it is painted -- and that cycling and walking also facilitate risk reduction (by improving general health"

Its very true. Taking the school bus or public bus is risky. You could counter her arguments by showing data on buses flipping over and what not, or people robbing on the buses, or something along those lines. Just remind her everyday that you wear a helmet to eliminate risk. and you must wear a helmet
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

say this: "fuck you mom.... just kinding i love you. no really you have your pick a) i start smoking glass and prostitute myself to support my habit, or b) i ride my bike to school."

its an easy choice really.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

by the way i've only been hit by a car twice, so its not that dangerous...
    • CommentAuthorcage
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited

Posted By: carbon fiber15 she keeps bringing up the fact that cars dont see you all the time

Hell, people in cars don't see other cars all the time too.
    That's a tough one. When I was 16 my mom gave me a ton shit for not riding to school.
    Posted By: Mancha150"The only way to avoid all risk is to be dead already. Every activity we undertake involves risk. Refraining from all activity also involves risk. So there is no way to be alive and not take risks. My point is that cycling is not dangerous as compared to other activities that we do not designate as particularly risky, i.e. not as dangerous as it is painted -- and that cycling and walking also facilitate risk reduction (by improving general health"

I use this ALL the time.
    thanks guys i have to go to school so i cant read all that stuff but from what little i did read i might help a little. she talkes about it like if i commute to school(on my gt(it looks a little diffrent now)), 5 days a week then i WILL DIE. i will get ran over. and if i do get ran over i will die. she says she couldnt live with herself. if only there was a way to make someone less hard headed.
    Posted By: cage
    Posted By: carbon fiber15she keeps bringing up the fact that cars dont see you all the time

Hell, people in cars don't see other cars all the time too.
    she said that too but she also said they will most likley live in a car crash. but i wont if i get hit.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

jesus she reminds me of my mom back in the day. I really think you should do two things: gain her trust by showing you responsibility with your bike in any way you can, and doing something that gives her little choice. Like I said, start up a bike club at school, maybe to do maintenance and stuff on bikes, to promote use of bikes for commuting, etc. She will see the effort and realize you are being mature about the whole thing. Plus if you are part of a club like that, you are going to need to take your bike to school. The whole accident thing is relative too. I mean, I was obviously exaggerating with the quote i put earlier about how everything is risky. But what is true is that you can eliminate risk in so many ways. You need to identify these ways and show them to her. Whether this is wearing a helmet, taking a specific route with relatively less traffic, riding at specific hours, wearing reflective gear, etc.

Good luck!
    Just puts TONS of blinky lights on your bike, that helped reassure my parents a little.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPJust puts TONS of blinky lights on your bike, that helped reassure my parents a little.

That and a helmet convinced my mom to let me ride.
    Yeah. Don't skimp on the lights. Ask your mom to help you do some research and get good lights. Have her help you find a helmet you like. Make sure she knows you're being responsible. If she's concerned about the cost of good lights and a good helmet, remind her how much operating a car costs. You'll be set up super sweet in the span of three tanks of gas.

I rode to school all through high school. Two miles on shitty narrow 300 year old Rhode Island roads. I got hit once. I was fine. While no kids in my school were killed on bikes, I remember two carfuls dying.

I don't know what winter roads are like by you, but if you get ice, you'll want to get ice tires. Nokian Hakkapeliitta are great commuter ice tires.
    man my mom is hesitant to let me ride everywhere too...she's mainly wary about me doing rides that are 20+ miles long. what's worked best for me is having a riding partner (just so happens to be my best friend) and i also wear a neon orange vest in addition to my lights. that and my chrome bag has the reflective strips too.

good luck man.
    These stories just kind of blow my mind. I was supposed to ride my bike to school. When I had an opportunity to ride 150 miles for charity, my parents were really excited that I took it.
    When I was your age, my mom was always more comfortable with me riding my bike to school if I was riding with a friend or two. Maybe you have a friend nearby that you can ride with. Or meet them at a point where neither of you have to go out of the way to meet, and then ride together.

Wear a helmet. Have bike lights. You will be fine.

I was hit by a car on my bike while I was in highschool. I was coming home and foolish young me was riding in the on-coming lane. A lady drove by going the same direction I was headed (but in the correct lane), but she was fishing in her glovebox and drifted into the on-coming lane where I was riding and hit me from behind. Clearly this was her fault, right? No...the judge said that if I have been riding with the flow of traffic, she would have just drifted right around me and I would not have been hit. I was legally in the wrong by being in the on-coming lane, but it was her that drifted into that lane and hit me. I lost the case.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.