velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Just got in today, unpackaged it, looks amazing!! Will post pics as soon as taken.

Just excited about it, thought I would share with you all!!!
    Yes, another build thread.
    Yes, here are a couple pics for everyone's enjoyment while I wait on a headset. the only thing holding me back right now!!!

cool it looks like it will make a awsome mtb. post more pics all the way threw the build please.
    I like that towel.
    Frame looks great good luck on your build!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

can i have that old rusty vice-grip?
    Posted By: carbon fiber15cool it looks like it will make a awsome mtb. post more pics all the way threw the build please.
    Thanks, I will keep posting pics as it get built!!

Posted By: suicide_doorsI like that towel.

that towel has been around, I have bunches of towels used for shop towels

Posted By: bensonisajewFrame looks great good luck on your build!

Thanks alot, I'm really stoked to get it built, buying a headset this week!!

Posted By: Aaron Ccan i have that old rusty vice-grip?

Haha, I actually have a couple of those old vice grips, they work great, I can spare one if you really want it.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009

Posted By: cyclecrazyjames
    Posted By: Aaron Ccan i have that old rusty vice-grip?

Haha, I actually have a couple of those old vice grips, they work great, I can spare one if you really want it.

nah, thanks though. i've got four or five myself. i'm super jealous of that frame, i almost bought a complete gunnar recently on the old cl but i couldn't come up with the scratch in time...
    • CommentAuthorgreg

tell us more about the build - awesome frame
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Random question here... How hard is it to install disk brakes? I have been wanting to put some on my trek and I have seen some inexpensive disk assemblies online, but the lbs around the corner wants more then the disks are worth to install them...
    Also is there anything to take into consideration with size specs?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited

LyKqiD - Just taking a stab in the dark here, but most of the disc brake bikes I've seen have the frame built to accomodate the different brake systems. The wheelsets will have to be stronger also because now you are braking from the hub which throws opposite and greater torque on the wheel's components than rim braking does. I don't see where it would be money well spent to convert. Probably cheaper and more solid to build it from ground up like ccJames is doing or buy it whole.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Nice looking frame by the way - look forward to seeing it built.
    Posted By: gregtell us more about the build - awesome frame

Thanks, I'm just using the same parts from the specialized, probably going to change out a few things, I will post up pics of the parts before I start the build, Im getting a headset for it this week.

Posted By: RuffinitNice looking frame by the way - look forward to seeing it built.

Thanks, it will start soon.... real soon!!!
    Posted By: LyKqiDRandom question here... How hard is it to install disk brakes? I have been wanting to put some on my trek and I have seen some inexpensive disk assemblies online, but the lbs around the corner wants more then the disks are worth to install them...
    Also is there anything to take into consideration with size specs?

Mountain or road? I'm going to assume mountain, as this thread is about the Rockhound. If you're talking about road, don't waste your time. Buy a bike with disc brakes standard. They're not worth adding because I don't think a road bike exists that has disc tabs standard without a set of disc brakes to go with them. You'll have to have a tab welded onto your frame and replace your fork.
    Now then, on a mountain bike, if the frame and fork have disc tabs, cable actuated discs are only just a little more difficult than installing canti or linear calipers. I installed an Avid BB7 on my Dragon a few months ago by myself, never having so much as used a bike disc brake before. It took a little while, but it (the Avid BB5/7 series, at least) is pretty foolproof. They even have a step by step BB7 installation video on YouTube.
    A hydraulic system is another story. I have a friend who is a downhill only mechanic and he spends the vast majority of his time making them shits work right. He says don't do it. Likewise if the frame doesn't have disc tabs, you're going to be spending a lot of money on something which will make a small difference in your ride quality.

As for sizes, I wouldn't go larger than a 160mm rotor on a 26" wheel. For 29" use 185. 203's are only for serious downhill riders.

What Ruff said is true, though. You'll also need a new wheelset unless your hubs are disc compatible.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Yes, its a mtn bike. I know I have the disc tabs, and I have a rear wheel with a hub set up for a disc. I was looking at Avid BB5's they seem inexpensive enough for a winter beater. From what I have read the installation sounds straight forward enough, but I will definitely try to find a video.
    older:
    and
    newer:
    Well this is taking longer than suspected to get this built. But installing the bottom bracket and crankset today. Im gonna be running a 38t x 18t. I want to change my crank to a eno white industries crank, anyone have any experience with one?

pic of crankset

Rear wheel Im using
    i thave got the same towel at my house. one of those stupid things you got to get while on vacation.
    Posted By: carbon fiber15i thave got the same towel at my house.
    Yea, it has become a shop towel now, like many others.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.