velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hipster is a word thrown around a lot in the bike world, and on this website. But what exactly is a hipster? Is it about skill level? Is it about dress? Is it attitude? I'm a 17 year old who wear skinny jeans and american apparel hoodies, but i can actually ride my bike, does this make me a hipster? Lets hear people's definition on what a hipster really is.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

hipster = a 17 year old who wears skinny jeans and american apparel hoodies

minors should be excluded from membership registration.
    Why do people hate hipsters they are cool people they just chill at coffee shops and listen to music no one ever heard about <3
    If you're wearing your girlfriends jeans there's a good chance you're a hipster....or sexually confused....
    Posted By: SquadraCorseIf you're wearing your girlfriends jeans there's a good chance you're a hipster....or sexually confused....

That has nothing to do if you wear girl pants you are a hipster but deff sexually confused
    I think it would be pretty cool to have a girlfriend I could share clothes with! We could do each others' hair and tell stories about our relationships!

Hipsters are people who follow a particular but evolving set of fashion trends. Fixed gear bicycles are within that set of trends right now. Eventually, they won't, and the fixie will go the way of the foam trucker hat, PBR can, and Belle and Sebastian disks.
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI think it would be pretty cool to have a girlfriend I could share clothes with! We could do each others' hair and tell stories about our relationships!

Newman, I think you're describing a homosexual relationship with a man of your size. It would be cool to swap clothes, though. I guess my wife and I do that. But people look at me funny when I wear the "boy shorts."

I've said too much.
    my wifes jeans are too big for me and iv bin riding fixed for 15 years !!! guess im not hip !!!!!!!!!
    Hm. Maybe I should try out this "homosexual realtionship" of which you speak! I guess I should ask my wife first, though.

And I *do* need new jeans...
    Good luck to you, sir!
    • CommentAuthormmediaman
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

http://www.latfh.com/

those are hipsters. if you find yourself on there, drop some acid and move to the mountains. hunt elk with a bow you made from townie bars and brake cables. stop buying anything, and profess yourself an anarcho-hippie (but still pay taxes).

and there is nothing wrong with girl pants if they have pockets and a zipper. and are not "low cut"
    • CommentAuthorjerereremy
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

Posted By: mmediamanhttp://www.latfh.com/

those are hipsters. if you find yourself on there, drop some acid and move to the mountains. hunt elk with a bow you made from townie bars and brake cables. stop buying anything, and profess yourself an anarcho-hippie (but still pay taxes).

my girlfriend and i found a couple of our friends on that site haha.

and really, making fun of people b/c of how tight their pants are is a bit jockish, no? maybe i'm just salty b/c i wear skinnies.

i tend to associate hipsterdom with copious amounts of blow, generic but "edgy" taste in music, and a certain unexplainable vapidness.
    • CommentAuthorNash

latfh.com FTW...
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPHipster is a word thrown around a lot in the bike world, and on this website. But what exactly is a hipster? Is it about skill level? Is it about dress? Is it attitude? I'm a 17 year old who wear skinny jeans and american apparel hoodies, but i can actually ride my bike, does this make me a hipster? Lets hear people's definition on what a hipster really is.

95% chance you are a legit hipster based on that brief description.
    You're 17. Go worry about getting some hot piece of tail, smoke some terrible high school weed, instead of worrying about being a hipster, because you're still worrying about school bullies.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

A hipster is someone who doesn't know anything about the stuff they are interested in. They saw it/heard it, and they like it, so now they have it. They just point and click. It's just all about acquiring the newest most underground shit and then tossing it to the side when something else new comes along. I can't wait until bikes are "over" for them.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: mmediamanand there is nothing wrong with girl pants if they have pockets and a zipper. and are not "low cut"
    no place for junk = wrong. no one wants to see your moose knuckle.
    I get the hipster comments all the time, with my flippy hair, skinny jeans and because I am young and work at a bike shop. But there are obvious reasons for all these things, my hair gets the ladies (if my girlfriend is reading, the lady) the tight pants are thouroughly comfortable and are good for riding short distances for lunch or whatever and not getting your leg caught in the chain, and I work at a bike shop because they pay me to.

The difference between me and a hipster is that they follow these ironic trends because they are ironic and trendy, so I guess I'm a wannabe hipster, because I have some hipish tendencies, but I have a goal in life, don't drink PBR, and my bikes are useful.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i grew up with pbr in a bmx setting, does that count?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: octopus magicsmoke some terrible high school weed

uh god, i remember that shit...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.