velospace has one goal: to connect bike enthusiasts
What velospace is About
Necessity is the mother of invention - Plato
During the winter of 2005-2006 I became restless and decided to brainstorm ideas for a project. I looked to my daily routine, the people around me and started to develop some plans.
Social networking, bikes, photos, collaboration and community were all on my mind. I realized that there was a need for a structure, a structure to allow bicyclists to create a community. There had been various forums and photo collection sites that connected bicyclists, but I thought I could do more than that. By combining the best aspects of several different communities, and introducing several new features, I designed and launched velospace.
Over the following months I received excellent advice from many bikers. The site took shape and began to grow. The growth of the site has been amazing. New users, new bikes, new connections and new ideas have all grown exponentially.
Using This Site in General
Rule 1. Don't be a jerk.
Note to Rule 1. velospace is not a place for you to vent about how much you hate bikes, how much you hate certain bikes, how much you hate people who ride certain bikes, how much you wish people who rode certain bikes were dead, and etcetera. If you attempt to use velospace for purposes like these you will be banned.
Rule 2. Only users may contact one another for the sale or trade of bike-related items. No corporate sales. If you are a business and want participate or advertise on velospace contact us. velospace disclaims any and all liability and will not be liable in any way for the outcome of interactions between users.
Rule 3. No profanity in user names or the titles of sales, bikes or comments.
Note to Rule 3. Sales, bikes or comments that have profanity in their names or titles will be edited or deleted outright. velospace is for bikers of all ages and backgrounds.
Rule 4. You spam, you banned. Don't bother trying!
Terms & Conditions of Use
You agree to follow all applicable laws when using this website. You agree you shall not upload or post unlawful, threatening, harmful, obscene, defamatory, adult, pornographic, illegal, fraudulent, or objectionable content, disrupt or attempt to gain unauthorized access to, transmit junk mail, collect information about other users, sell access to the website or the data herein, or distribute in part or whole this website.
You agree that velospace shall not be liable in any way for any injury you incur as a result of the use of this website. You agree and acknowledge that you use this website at your own risk and that any actions you take while using the website are voluntarily assumed.
You agree that all user-generated content, including but not limited to bikes you upload, comments you leave, image or files uploaded, correspondence with its authors, participation in the various features of this website any other form of user-submitted communication with this website is the sole property of the owner of this website. There is no expectation of confidentiality or privacy in any communications you may have with this website.
Remedies for Violations of Rules and Terms & Conditions of Use
Users that violate the rules may have their accounts deactivated or deleted. If your account is deactivated you will see a message on your log-in screen directing you to follow a series of steps to apply for reinstatement of your account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How can I delete a bike of mine?
A1. Log-in and visit My Stuff, where you will find a [delete] link for each of your bikes.
Q1a. How can I delete my account?
A1a. If you want to have your velospace user account shut down please go for a bike ride and decide if this is what you really want to do, and then send a feedback note with your user name and email address and your account will be deactivated. Accounts are not deleted, but deactivated, so when you change your mind you can start right back where you left off.
Q2. The photos of my bike are messed up, how can I fix them?
A2. Rename and reupload the photos of your bike and the photos will be reset.
Q3. How come I never got my registration email and password after signing up?
A3. Your registration email may be delayed for 5 to 20 minutes, be patient! Step 1: check your Spam/Junk mail folder. Step 2: request a new password. Step 3: send a feedback note with all the details including your username, email address, time of registration, etcetera and someone will check into the registration.
Q4. My password stopped working; I forgot my password; My dog ate my password; I left my password in my other pair of pants; and so on - what can I do?
A4. If you are having password troubles head on over to the request a new password page and get yourself sorted out.
Q5. Why can't I post a sale in the marketplace?
A5. New users must wait 15 days to post sales or want-to-buy ads in the marketplace. Why? To cut down on abuse and fraudulent sales.
Carbon Media Group has created this privacy statement to demonstrate our firm commitment to the privacy of the users of our websites. We know that our users take their privacy seriously, and so do we. Please read the following to learn more about what information we collect and how we use it. By using our websites, you consent to this Policy.
This Policy covers Carbon Media Group's treatment of personally identifiable information collected by Carbon Media Group through websites owned and operated by Carbon Media Group. This Policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Carbon Media Group does not own or control, or of persons that Carbon Media Group does not employ or manage, including any third-party content contributors bound by contract and any third-party websites to which Carbon Media Group's websites link. This Policy only applies to information collected through our websites, and not to information collected offline.
What Information Does Carbon Media Group Collect?
1. Personal Information
2. Non-Personal Information
- You can visit Carbon Media Group's websites without revealing any personal information. However, Carbon Media Group needs certain personal information if you wish to register for a member account, receive a Carbon Media Group newsletter, or use certain Carbon Media Group services.
- Where required, this information may include your company contact information and your personal contact information. Carbon Media Group uses this information to reply to your inquiries, to set up your member account, to provide you with requested services, and to contact you regarding new services.
- By accessing the services of Carbon Media Group and voluntarily providing us with the requested personal information, you consent to the collection and use of the information in accordance with this Policy.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- Carbon Media Group automatically receives and records non-personal information on our server logs from your browser, including but not limited to your IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. Carbon Media Group may use this information to customize the advertising and content you see and to fulfill your requests for certain products and services.
- Carbon Media Group uses third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our websites. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
- If you prefer, you may choose to have your computer warn you when a cookie is being sent, or you may choose to disable cookies through your browser's settings. However, as with most websites, some of Carbon Media Group's services may not function properly when cookies are disabled.
Carbon Media Group may disclose your personal information to third parties who work on behalf of Carbon Media Group to provide services to you. Carbon Media Group may also disclose your personal information when:
Your personal information may be shared with or sold to any successor to or purchaser of part or all of the assets of Carbon Media Group, or if Carbon Media Group is merged in whole or in part with another company.
- We have your express consent to share the information for a specified purpose;
- We need to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process or official request
- We need to protect the personal safety of the users of our websites or defend the rights or property of Carbon Media Group; or
- We find that your actions on our websites violate the Carbon Media Group Terms of Service Agreement [link] or any of our usage guidelines for specific products or services
If you do not consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information as outlined in this Policy, please do not provide any personal information to Carbon Media Group.
How to Access Your Personal Information
Carbon Media Group gives you the ability to edit your Carbon Media Group Account Information and preferences at any time, unless you have been banned. If you have been banned, we can, upon request, alter personal information limited to signature, email address, user name, and location.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be considered 100% secure.
Should you believe your personal safety is threatened or that you may be the victim of identity theft or other illegal conduct, please contact your local, state/provincial, or federal law enforcement agencies directly.
Questions or Suggestions
This policy was last modified on November 22, 2011
© 2005-2010 velospace.org. All Rights Reserved.
General Site Policy
velospace disclaims any and all liability arising from the use of this service and furthermore velospace will not be liable in any way for the outcome of interactions between users. As a free service, velospace makes absolutely no warranties, implied or express, as to any level of quality or outcome of any interaction the user has herein whatsoever. Furthermore, by using velospace, in the event that a dispute does arise, you agree that the laws of the State of Illinois applies in all cases, and you further agree to submit to the courts of Cook County in the State of Illinois, or the courts of the Northern District of Illinois, as forum and venue.
Here are links to one-off pages on velospace: Six Pack Capacity Calculator, Adorable Kitten Capacity Caculator, Photo Tips, Snapshot of Friends network, RSS & Syndication, Tagging, Tools
CONTACT via feedback form